Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tech Advice: Securing Files on my iPad and Smart Phone.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tech Advice: Securing Files on my iPad and Smart Phone.

Okay, techies, I want some advice on doing something that I hope is possible, and is rather simple in what I want, though I don't know how to do it, or if it woud be as easy to do as it is to explain.

On both my phone and my iPad, I have various files that I would prefer be password protected and locked so they are only available to me, if for some reason either fell into someone else's hands. Also, in the case of certain photos, I want them to not be visible when just browsing through the gallery, as is currently the case, but only visible once the password is entered for that file. Can I password protect particular files on my iPad or Galaxy S6? Can I do so for entire galleries?

Please advise. Thank you.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Mcafee security has a part for mobile devices that you can get as part of their total package. It's called the vault and is password protected, you just have to move the files and pictures into it and then they are there. I use it for my iPhone and my iPad.

Comment

How much does it cost? Would it be a package deal for all my devices, or do I have to buy it separately for each? Is it droid compatible? And is it easy for an idiot to use and understand?

Still A Customer."

Comment

This might be helpful, Jester (at least for your iPad):

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH17144?locale=en_US

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/lock...498840239?mt=8

Is your phone an iPhone, or an Android device?
        Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S6, which is an android.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
            My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S6, which is an android.
            Alrighty.

Try this:

http://www.guidingtech.com/12457/enc...files-android/

Or this:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...lelocker&hl=en

Comment

The iPad has been secured. Thank you. I've not yet gotten to the phone.

Still A Customer."

Comment

And now the phone is secured. I didn't use the apps linked, but did find one of a similar variety that I liked, and I feel much better about the security of certain files.

Thanks to everyone who helped!

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                  And now the phone is secured. I didn't use the apps linked, but did find one of a similar variety that I liked, and I feel much better about the security of certain files.

Thanks to everyone who helped!
                  Cool deal. Glad I could make a suggestion.

Comment

Update: every one of the apps I looked at had some negative reviews, including the ones I ended up using. The iPad app is working just fine, but I've already had an issue with the one on the phone. When I went to open it today, I couldn't get it to open with the password I was sure I had used, or any other variety I thougt I might have used. No big deal...use the password recovery feature, which sends a password to my email. Never received said email. So I uninstalled the app, and reinstalled it, and it still had some of the pictures I had loaded into it. Luckily, I had them elsewhere if I had lost them, but that still concerned me. And it seemed to come after an update to the app. So I'm gonna keep an eye on this one, and see if it's all it's cracked up to be.

Still A Customer."

Comment

I've never been happy with any apps for securing certain *ahem* files. I have a teaching license to protect so I'm paranoid. If you want to be absolutely certain particular files don't fall into the wrong hands, they need to be stored elsewhere. Mine are currently on a password protected thumb drive, and will get moved as soon as I can acquire something less easily lost. The thumb drive is stored under lock and key. As soon as possible after those files are created, they get moved then deleted off the device that created them. The drawback here is that they aren't as easily accessible to me, but it's an annoyance I'm willing to deal with.
                      At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

My sensitive files aren't as sensitive as some. I just don't want to be scrolling through my gallery to show someone something and then realize there are pictures there they don't need to see. Also, certain photos are for my eyes only, for various reasons, but on the off chance I lose my phone, the apps in question should do the job just fine for me.

Also, I'd like to put a few recipes and other text files away for my viewing only. But yeah, I don't need anything too high end, as I don't have much to protect in the first place. Just trying to make things a little less worrisome.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                        X