This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rules regarding tipping?

I have a few questions regarding the rules about tipping at some restaurants.

If a receipt has a line for "tip", does that mean I should put one, in all circumstances?

I usually do, but I'm asking for specific reasons.

Sometimes for lunch I go to places where I go through a line/up to a counter and order. The food is brought to me by an employee (they give a number). But the rest (drink refills, getting silverware/cutlery, etc.) is basically up to me as the patron. Do I tip in this instance, and if so, do "standard" tipping rules apply? There's usually a line on the receipt at these places that says "TIP", but I never know if I'm supposed to put anything in it or not in these circumstances, so I usually do.

Another place is where they put the items on your plate that you want, but they have someone coming around with rolls. That receipt also has a line on it for "TIP".

As I said, I usually do write in a tip, because the receipt has a line for it, but I'm wondering if that really applies in these cases.

So what are your thoughts?
    Last edited by mjr; 10-28-2015, 05:05 PM.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

I would say it would depend on whether or not the staff are being paid a 'real' wage or a 'tipped employee' wage. If you don't know, ask. If you don't want to ask the employees, ask management.
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

As for the tip line of a tip, if you didn't leave a cash tip, fill in some figure. We prefer to leave cash tips to throw off the IRS. They average the credit card tips to determine what the cash tips "should be".
      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I agree with both of them

The main requirement, imho, is whether the server does a fair amount of work you would otherwise be doing yourself, and whether it's considered the norm for their position; though I make an exception (and always tip) if I know that they're only getting "waiter wage." If someone brings me a burger at Wendy's (very unusual, and they get paid more like normal wages) because there was a problem with it, nah, not so much. At a buffet or some other place where they are at least getting me refills and cleaning up the plates & table, sure.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
          At a buffet or some other place where they are at least getting me refills and cleaning up the plates & table, sure.
          Here's an example of what I'm talking about.

Just today, I had lunch at a place like this: I walked in, picked up a menu and decided what I wanted. I ordered, and paid (with my CC), and wrote in a tip. The lady handed me a number and a cup. I got my own silverware and my own drink. If I need a refill, there's a machine in the dining part of the restaurant, so it's self-serve.

When my food was ready, the lady brought it to me and took the number.

Of course, this is a place where they clean the silverware and serving vessels off of the tables.

In this case: Tip? Yes or No?

I don't know if they make "waiter wages" or not. It feels a little rude to ask.
          Last edited by mjr; 10-28-2015, 08:40 PM.
          Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

I normally tip a buck + change for something like that if it's just me -- you're still doing almost everything yourself.
            Last edited by EricKei; 10-30-2015, 12:06 AM.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

At the buffets here, Most of them pay a real wage. I usually toss down a dollar. If there is no server, but only a dishwasher that comes by and picks up the plates, I usually don't tip. I try to mindful on things like To go orders from a restaurant with servers, like Applebees, because I know they still make a servers wage but still have to get everything together for me, and I will tip a few bucks. For delivery people, if the weather is nasty, I add a few bucks on to my normal tip

Comment

I know it can feel rude to ask, but I personally think it's rude of the industry to assume that the general public 'should' just somehow 'know'.

In France, the menus include 'Service Compris' or 'Service et Tax Compris', or 'Service non compris' or 'Service et sus'; depending on what is or is not included. I think that's only sensible!

So in my personal opinion, asking to see a manager, and then asking the manager to provide the 'service compris'/'service non compris' information, is simply being assertive.

I would also advocate that those of you in the US send letters to your favourite chain restaurants and ask their corporate overlords to post that info on their menus!
                Seshat's self-help guide:
                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                X