This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for locksmiths

From posts here, it looks like there are a few locksmiths on the board.

I bought my car ('96 Elantra) used, and the key I got with it is worn (only used it as a master to get keys cut). I have a key from my previous car ('93 Excel) which is on the same blank, and which has never been used other than as a master for cutting "working" keys. These are not transponder keys, so there are no issues with programming the car to accept a particular key. I want to have a non-worn key which will fit my car.

The options I can see are:

- Get a key from the dealer, based on the VIN. The dealer's service department says that the lock tumblers may be worn to a point where a key cut to the original bitting might not work (i.e. key and tumblers are "worn in" together), and that if the lock cylinders were ever changed that the key would not work.

- Get a key "regenerated" by a locksmith, whether by impressioning, the use of tryout keys, or a gizmo that reads bitting from the lock.

- Get my locks (both front doors, ignition, and tailgate) re-keyed to match the non-worn key I have.

Any opinions on which would be the best route, or if there's one I didn't think of that would be better? Thanks.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Is there any particular reason you want a "non-worn key"? Is your current key not working properly?

I'd go with the dealer option first, before considering the others IMO; it's much less expensive than the other options and worth a try.

Comment

The key (original I received with the car) is worn to the point that I need to wiggle it "just so" to unlock the driver's door. I guess I'm used to it (know exactly how to wiggle it), but last time I had work done on it my mechanic said that the lock wasn't working (he had to get in from the passenger side). I want a GOOD key.
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
      X