Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just idle speculation ... at least, for now ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just idle speculation ... at least, for now ...

I am not trying to be morbid, but this is something I will have to face sooner or later.

I came to My Hometown to help my mother around the house. She was taken to hospital before I arrived, and basically went from there to the nursing home. I am her only regular visitor at this time, because my siblings live on the other side of both countries (Canada and the U.S.) Because of this, I am living in her house basically expenses-free.

However, the day will come when she will be gone, and this house will be sold, and then I will have a decision to make: stay here for a few more years, or move West to where brother lives?

Important point: I'll be eligible for a Canada Pension (and other such income boosts) in four years. If I can hold out a few years past that, I will (the later you apply, the more you get ) but I want to at least wait until the "official" age of retirement.

A quick comparison:

Saskatoon
    • higher rent ... but I'm seeing ads trumpeting 'Reduced rent!!' and my brother confirms this is happening (for various reasons, it seems a LOT of people are saying "Screw this, I'll buy a house!!")
    • Apartments are not pet-friendly. Many prohibit pets entirely; most of those that don't, charge not only a security fee (per pet, I think) but also a monthly pet fee. And you get none of that back.
    • Overall, I think the cost of living in both cities is fairly similar
    • Air is cleaner out there. I have no clue what I'm inhaling here, but I had a cough start a few weeks ago and it's sticking around
    • I would be starting from scratch in terms of employment

My Hometown
    • I have at least one job here, with a pretty good employer
    • My one job is not enough to live on, and my attempts to find fulltime work, or at least another part-time job, have so far proven unsuccessful
    • It is not legal here to prohibit tenants from having pets
    • Apartments in Ontario have rent increase caps (2% per year, IIRC); Saskatchewan has no cap on rent increases

Comments, thoughts?
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Yeah. It is something to think about.

Some day.

For now, you need to take care of today. When that day comes, the situation will most likely have changed. You will need to make your decision based on the situation at that time.

On the plus side, having family some place else gives you "infrastructure" that gives you options. It is a good place to be.
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

You are quite right, csquared.

I'm just wondering if others see things that I don't. But, for the moment, I'm just going to keep working on getting a job here.

My last relative in My Hometown (an elderly, recently widowed aunt) has opted to move to Saskatoon, as her son (my cousin) is also there. There is one other couple here, the husband of which is a theoretical relative of mine ... but I've seen them only once since I moved back, so they are pretty much out of the equation.

Ultimately I will move West, because (like my aunt) I am aging, and would prefer to be near relatives as I get older.

In the meantime, I must get back to culling my belongings ... *groan*
      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Working...
      X