This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planting things

I must have a screw loose, or maybe my maternal instinct has kicked in or something, but I've got an urge to do some planting of basic foodstuffs. I'm talking about things in small planters with onions, carrots, and maybe some pak choi. Something I can put on the paved area outside my front window.

Something simple.

So, anyone done anything similar? What sort of tips have you got? When are the best times to plant this sort of gear? How long does it take to grow?

What do I need to know?

Rapscallion

Well, it depends on what you're planting.

The easiest things to grow are Tomatoes and cucumbers. I've discovered the best dirt is a nutrient rich (black) dirt or Pete Moss (my prefered method since it's cheap and easy to get). Using plants us the fastest method but you can grow by seed too.

Tomatoes are usually ready (from seed) anywhere from 60 and 85 days after planting. (heirlooms, naturally, take longer)
    Cucumbers are ready in 50-60 days.
    Carrots will take between 60-80 days. The best carrot for the money/time is Orange Rocket (approximately 8 inches long, tends to be rather thick and sweet) or the Sweet Treat (6 inches).

Personally, I don't like thin carrots since they tend to be too small and don't have much flavour.

Onions take a bit more time at 100 days but you can normally get types that you can't get in the grocery store (like Walla Wallas and Salad Reds, which looks like a red scallion).

This year I'll be planting quite a few veggies and fruits;
    cucumbers, lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, blackberries, strawberries, blueberries, garlic, herbs, bush beans, watermelon, cantaloupe, honey dew, chile peppers, and I have an apricot tree that will bear fruit in October.

Recently a new fad occurred here in the states for easy planting; instead of dumping the dirt out of the bags, just split them open an plant directly into the bag. Supposedly this makes it easier to pick for older folks (How, I don't know) and helps keep water at the roots (this makes sense).
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Time of year, type of soil, orientation, and ideal plant for the conditions varies wildly across the world.

Your best bet is to hit your local library and grab a couple of the better-read general gardening books, and maybe a couple of local gardening magazines.

A really cheap way to get started is to use carrot tops, potato chunks (each chunk with an eye in it), shallot ends (with the roots!), and everything else that sprouts when it gets old.

Just shove them in some dirt, keep the dirt moist-but-not-soaked, and watch.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Spent the best part of two hours digging out the crap from a stretch of border (once neglected flowers and now full of some sort of plant propogating by runners). Going to be going through it again to get rid of more crap, but am planning on getting some compost from my father's place and making sure I have stones and the like out. It's about a dozen feet by two feet and it's going to have onions. Lots of onions.

Rapscallion

Comment

We put our onions in paper cups indoors last week. Definitely hit your library and find out the gardening "zone" for your area. The zoning takes into account average temps, last frost date, soil types and so forth. Generally speaking, you want to plant outdoors after the last frost. One problem we had with our onions last year was the birds kept picking the seedlings right out of the ground, so you might want to get a net until the plants get big enough.
          I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Already got some netting and some fencing type stuff to hold it up.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post

Recently a new fad occurred here in the states for easy planting; instead of dumping the dirt out of the bags, just split them open an plant directly into the bag. Supposedly this makes it easier to pick for older folks (How, I don't know) and helps keep water at the roots (this makes sense).
              Hmm...hadn't heard about this before. Maybe keeping the dirt in the bag leaves the plant up a little higher? Being lazy, though, this method appeals to me.
              Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

I'd be leery of planting directly in the bag. Plant pots have holes in the bottom for a reason you know...
                "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
                HellGate: London

Comment

I recommend a book called You Grow, Girl! or the associated website yougrowgirl.com . It focuses on urban gardening in window-box and fire-escape containers.

Comment

Quoth Flying Grype View Post
                    I recommend a book called You Grow, Girl! or the associated website yougrowgirl.com . It focuses on urban gardening in window-box and fire-escape containers.
                    I think I failed the physical for that one...

I also have quite a bit more than a windowsill worth of land to work on, but the thought's appreciated.

Rapscallion

Comment

Working...
                    X