This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better Birth Control?

I am starting to question whether or not I should continue getting the Depo Provera injections.

I have been on Depo since I was 17, and have been enjoying 6 glorious years of no menstrual period (only light spotting if anything, the week before the next shot is due and very mild cramps and some bloating occasionally).

However, the #1 side effect of Depo is weight gain. At first I didn't think that's why I put on so much weight, because I was getting lazy and putting sleep and work before exercise, but as time has gone on, I'm starting to think it may be at least a slight reason I am unable to lose this extra weight, and am getting paranoid it may get worse and my body may not be able to metabolize or burn fat as well if I stay on it.

As much as I'd hate to have a period again (as Depo is the only birth control I know of that eliminates the period), I think it may be time to switch to birth control. I understand ALL birth controls have risks of weight gain, but none nearly as much as Depo.

Firstly on this, The Pill is out of the question. That is how I got here. It didn't work in the spring of 86, and it doesn't work now. Not to mention that I really don't care much for pills, let alone having to remember to take it at the same time every day. My schedule and life is so weird that I can't even pick a good time to take it if I was on it. There is also having to go to the pharmacy....I've only been presribed meds a handfull of times, and am not excited over going to get refills every month.

I also am not interested in the ring or the patch. My skin does not react well to any kind of adhesives, and I am quite grossed out at the thought of a ring that could fall out at any given time, along with having to go to the pharmacy every month for more.

I want something semi-permanent, like Depo. I understand that not having any kids and being young, it may be a stretch to get an IUD (that kind of creeps me out a little too) or Implanon, but I'd probably ask anyway. Something that would give me a regular to non existent (if possible) period.

Any ideas?
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Is Norplant still around? I don't remember.
    Dull women have immaculate homes.

Comment

Well, I just recently found out that you're not supposed to be on the Depo shot for more than 2 years at a time (My sister was on it for 9 and it's caused her some problems now). I hear the ring works great, but you said you don't want that.

I'm personally not on birth control right now because my last form of birth control caused me heart problems. And that's the one I want to warn you AGAINST. Whatever you choose do NOT for your own health and safety go on the Implanon implant! It's a 3 year implant, but it caused me SERIOUS issues.

(GROSS OUT WARNING STOP READING HERE IF YOU HAVE A WEAK STOMACH)

For one thing, obviously the heart problems. That's the biggest concern. Other issues were: Serious acne that just wouldn't go away, and more than six months after removal I'm still dealing with. Extremely irregular periods (three months without and then three months of nothing but save for a couple days here and there). Constant dryness during sex, to the point of either having to have lots of lube, or being unable to have sex because it would rub him raw. Weight gain, migraines that were 30x worse than any I'd ever had before..

You see where I'm going with this. I had the thing removed after a year and a half, and was warned against going on any other birth control until my heart was regular again because of it.

I wish you luck in finding something you're comfortable with, but please stay away from Implanon. There are better implants etc out there. Make sure you do your research, and talk to your doctor as well. Ask what all the major side effects of any BC you go on may have before you decide.

Comment

Quoth Exaspera View Post
        Is Norplant still around? .
        No, they took Norplant off the market several years ago and replaced it with Implanon which is just as bad if not worse.

Comment

What, exactly, are your preferences for birth control? You mentioned regular or no periods, unfortunately there's nothing that does that without causing major problems in certain percentages of the population (such as apparently you and me). You've specifically vetoed all the ones that I know of.

If you're looking largely for control of your menses, have you considered dietary control? I know that you work nights, so that's a lot for you to have to overcome, but I've been using diet, and I'm finding that it's working well enough that I only need to watch what I eat after I ovulate.

I just went back off the pill about three months ago. I'm loving the lack of mood problems, my husband has noticed the improvement, and I'm also really enjoying getting my longer cycles back.

Comment

Putting in my 2 cents:

I loved the ring when I was on it. It doesn't fall out, you don't feel it and you only have to think about it once ever 3 weeks. However you said you didn't want that so moving right along.

A friend of mine just got an IUD and she loves it. She's young and has no children and they gave to her when she demonstrated that she'd researched it before deciding to get it. I'm also considering an IUD as it lasts for 5 (ish) years and they're considering extending how long it's safe to have. If at any time you decide you want children you'd have to get it removed and it'd take a month or two (depending on several personal health factors) for your fertility to return. I'm not saying it wouldn't be harder to get pregnant if you decide you want children later but honestly? That's a benifit, you won't have children until you are positive you're ready for them.
            Me to a friend: I know I'm crazy, you know I'm crazy, the zombies at the end of the world will know I'm crazy. Thus not eating my brain for fear of ingesting the crazy. It's my survival plan.

Comment

I am looking at doing the IUD. It actually sounds a lot like what you're looking for. It's been a while since I got the information about it since I didn't get around to going in and getting anything, but definitely look into it. It's a quick procedure, no cutting or anything and it's easily removable if you change your mind.
              "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

Comment

I would recommend the The Mirena IUD, it is effective for 5 years and gives out a very low dose of hormones. From what I have read up on it vs the shot, it is WAY better, no weight gain. There is also the Copper IUD, but my doctor told me that those don't always stop the Period and sometimes make it worse... no thanks.
                Best bet, go to your doctor, or a local Planned Parenthood and talk to one of them about it, they will know better.
                "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
                -Red

Comment

I'm on the Mirena. Love it. I haven't had a period in about 5 years (my cycles got all screwy before I got pregnant with my last, then I had the Mirena put in right after she was born.) I don't think I ever want to go back to seeing Aunt Flo again.

Comment

Two words: Endometrial ablation.

They put a probe-thingie into you (similar to what they'd do if they gave you an IUD) and zap the inside of the uterus. It only lasts for maybe 2 minutes, tops, and you'd get cramps something like what you have with a regular period, and it's an outpatient appointment so you can go home the same day. But it accomplishes two very important things. 1) ends the monthly curse (or at least makes it a lot lighter), and 2) keeps anything unwanted from taking up vacancy in said organ (i.e., no kids) since there is no longer a habitat for it.

It does of course have the requisite risks (mainly, the possibility of the inside regenerating itself, which is rare but can happen, in which case lather, rinse and repeat treatment. Most women who have one don't need to do this however.). All the women I know of who've had one though, are very happy with the results (or shall we say, lack thereof, heh).

It's also meant to be on the permanent end of things, so be VERY sure that you absolutely don't want any kids, ever, before committing to it.

And if you're still concerned about the possibility of unwanted pregnancy, you could go for a tubal - nowadays they can do them through the navel - and have them ablate as long as they're down there. Double score!

(Mind you I don't know what your financial situation or your personal comfort level is, so best of luck in considering your options and finding one that works for you!)
                    ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

Plenty of advice from people who know their own preferences, Blas. Me? I'd say see a doctor.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
                        As much as I'd hate to have a period again (as Depo is the only birth control I know of that eliminates the period),
                        Oh, no it's not! I'm taking Lybrel. But, it's a pill. Honestly, though, remembering to take it when I'm in the bathroom already taking out my contacts, washing my face, and brushing my teeth in the evening? No problem. Especially when the alternative is a migraine every month with another pill. Or migraine, horrific cramps, nausea, feeling like I'm bleeding out, anemia, and nothing close to a regular cycle on nothing?

Quoth Magpie View Post
                        What, exactly, are your preferences for birth control? You mentioned regular or no periods, unfortunately there's nothing that does that without causing major problems in certain percentages of the population (such as apparently you and me). You've specifically vetoed all the ones that I know of.
                        But that's going to happen with any method, be it a pill, shot, IUD, etc.
                        It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

I would think your best bet would be an IUD, the only issue I have heard of if you haven't had kids is the pain of insertion due to the cervix not having been strectched before.

Is the depo causing you to gain weight, or is it causing your appite to increase?

Me I have been on Depo for a year and a half but have devolped hypertension so if that doesn't reduce before my next one I need to find a new BC.

Comment

I've used implanon, I'm on it and I haven't had any problems. There was NOTHING mentioned in the brochures provided by the company about heart problems. If you're referring to DVT, the risk is actually LOWER than going on the combined pill, due to the fact that there's only one hormone present.

the side effects of implanon are all listed here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Implanon

most of the side effects aren't too much different from the pill. In fact, the only reason why i went on the implanon was that if i had to go back on any form of medication, the pill screws up my antidepressants.
                            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I have a copper T IUD, and love it.

My best friend just had her tubes tied (actually clamped), and healed in about two weeks. As in, the laproscopic entry points are completely healed and the scars are already starting the fade. The one in her navel is almost invisible, the other two are tiny and are placed where a bikini hides them anyway.

She didn't go for ablation, so she still has a period, but she has normal periods anyway and doesn't see a need for an ablation - at least not yet. Maybe some day.
                              Seshat's self-help guide:
                              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                              X