This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, how so I explain being fired?

I've got a First round phone interview on Monday and I'm wondering. How do i explain that I was fired from my last job?
    They say crime doesn't pay. That must mean what I'm doing at work is illegal.

I'd say it depends on why you were fired...

Google how to explain being fired in an interview and there's lots of articles on the subject.
    http://www.job-interview-site.com/in...nd-handle.html
    Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 05-06-2010, 02:35 AM.
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I got feed off with a bunch of co-workers that in the three plus years I worked there, spent 75% percent of every shift standing around and talking at the fitting room and told them off in unsuitable words. I had talked to a manager about them not working and the horrible way they treat everyone not a part of their clique for the 100th time right before I went off. As usual, the manager did nothing. I hated dealing with this clique so much that I dreaded going to work and almost quit several times.
      They say crime doesn't pay. That must mean what I'm doing at work is illegal.

Comment

Well, that just means you got tired of THEM not living up to your expectations.

Why exactly did you get fired? Assault? Battery? Wooden spoon up your nose? What rules did you break to get canned?

That will help us word it better.

Remember: never diss a previous employer. Even if the guy was a slimeball, they still employed you.

Interviewer: So, your resume says you worked at Blah Place for 2 years; why aren't you there now?

You: I left to find a better/more practical/more challenging environment. Plus the wooden spoons here fit up my nose better. (find something about the newer place that you can jive with)
        In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
        She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Honesty is the best policy.

Except when you are interviewing for a new job.

Basically, lie your ass off. But do it professionally and diplomatically.

"I wanted to work in a more professional environment. Acme Widgets was just not a good fit for me."

"I want to work in a busier environment, and for whatever reason, they are not doing the business that I feel warrants my being there."

"After three years, I felt it was time for a change."

None of the above is necessarily a blatant lie. It just bends the truth. And since your former employer should not say you were fired since, ya know, it's illegal for them to do so, you should be fine.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
            "After three years, I felt it was time for a change."
            Yep. Focus on what you are moving toward, not what you are moving away from. "More responsibility", "better alignment with career goals", "more opportunities for growth". Heck, even "more hours", "shorter commute" might be okay, depending on what sort of work it is, although you need to be careful with those as you don't want to leave the impression that the only reason you are applying is because the new job is more convenient for you.
            There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Not the only reason, but a job that is more convenient for someone is a valid reason for changing jobs. I myself don't like to commute, although of course right now I live on a small island where that is not a huge deal. But when I finally get back to Phoenix, that WILL be a factor in my job hunting.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
              Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
              X