This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flying, ick

Incredibly stupid question, but I'm really worrying about this. Yes, it's my anxiety acting up over nothing, but that doesn't mean I can make the decisions.

Do I pack my (digital) thermometer in my cabin luggage, or do I check it? Yes, I know. But I'm worried that the low pressure and temperature might cook it, and I don't really have any money left this month to replace it. I'm just worried that security might not like it. I've reconciled myself to losing my needles if they complain, but, like I said, I don't have any money left this month.
    Last edited by Magpie; 05-17-2010, 06:29 PM.

Best I can tell from the TSA, this is one to check it or ship it.
    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

TGK - I can't see what at that link says thermometers aren't allowed, I think I'm clicking the wrong headings. I need to check the CATST-ACSTA website instead, because this is a domestic flight, so if I know where to look that would help.

And does anyone know if the thermometer is likely to be harmed if I check it? If necessary I can try to get by without it, but I'd rather not.

ETA: I forgot to mention that this is a digital thermometer, making checking it that much safer a bet. Have fixed the original post now.

Comment

No idea about thermometers, but they don't care about knitting stuff. I've brought lots of needles and hooks on flights and never been questioned about them. If you're worried, I'd suggest circulars since they look less scary.

Comment

Well it's my second project that I'm worried about - uses two sets of needles, and the second set is 30 cm metal double points that I'm using as straight needles. I can't say I'd blame someone for thinking that they're weapons. (It's getting checked). It only takes one person who's never seen doublepoints for me to lose the needles though. I overheard someone talking about the trouble she had with her crochet hook, and given my immense ability to deal with social situations, I really can't see it going well if I get challenged at all.

The thermometer is going to be checked, and put in a plastic bag. Yes, it looks like it's on the allowed list (not by name, but that's because there's not a lot of question about digital ones). However, most thermometers read in under a minute, and don't beep every 4 seconds. I called Jackdaw at work, he said check it, and I'm putting it in a plastic bag to give it a little bit of pressure. If it breaks, it's not coming out of my pin money anymore, I'm justified in taking it out of health .

Comment

Working...
          X