Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tend to clean or organize when I get frustrated or down, and it always helps. It's a feat of accomplishment, to take a mess and clean it. But, I also happen to really like cleaning and organizing stuff. While I'm with the BF, I've been working on his room while he's been at work.
    "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
    Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Oddly enough, the last time I was feeling a bit blue I sat & talked to Cleverbot from Green Fairy's post a while ago. I found it rather akin to free writing and couldn't help but smile at some of the things it was coming out with

At other times, I try to lose myself in a book or complicated game, especially when my brain is trying to nag me about things I don't want to think about.

Or if I'm feeling like I really can't be bothered (or suffering from CBA syndrome)* I make myself go to the gym or out for a walk or do some gardening. Those gym times end up being among my best calorie burning sessions & of course there's always the endorphin hit afterward

*CBA (Can't Be Arsed) Syndrome... little phrase coined by a friend of mine ages ago
      Arp happens!

Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Comment

When I'm angry I like to play violent video games.

I always love to read, especially if I need to not be me for a while.

If I'm feeling particularly sad I like to turn the volume way too high on sad music, something with a strong baseline and sing along until it doesn't feel so bad anymore.

Alternatively, exercise really helps, and so I play my "Makes me wanna dance" playlist as loud as it will go, and just move.
        The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
          When I'm angry I like to play violent video games.
          How did I forget that one!
          Zombie blasting after a bad day
          Arp happens!

Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Comment

My roommate has spent the last two days rearranging and organizing her room (our hallway and dining area are a mess right now). She's bummed cuz she realized she can't afford to go on vacation.
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

When I get depressed, I try to do a few things:

HIKE. This is my main blues-killer....this helped me kill my SAD last winter. It will probably rear its evil head again this winter, but I'll just throw on the spikes and hike.

Read...get lost in another world for a bit

Video games....esp Zelda. Again, getting lost in another world for a bit. And killing moblins is fun.

Having a huge cry.....gets the bad vibes out and burns calories,

Hitting the gym...endorphins!

Getting mildly obsessed with a new hobby/interest. Right now, thanks to the World Cup, I am slightly obsessed with reading about soccer and am planning to hit some MLS games.

Main thing is,,,keeping your mind too busy to thinking about the sadness, even if it only for a few hours a day
              "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
              "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
                Thats the bad part. You have no energy to do anything because you don't do anything! :P Its the same with sleep. If you sleep too much, it makes you relentlessly tired.
                Any tips on getting more energy though?

I just... can't muster it. The energy. The intrest I once had. Nothing sparks it anymore.
                Military Spouse Support.
                http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
                Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Quoth Plaidman View Post
                  You need to get out and do it. Start small, five, ten minutes a day. Set an alarm or make plans with someone, draw yourself up a schedule, something that means you need to go through with it, whatever makes you do it best.

For example, ipods have an alarm feature that will play any playlist. I can hook mine up to my dock, and set it to play my dance music at a set time. Then when it starts playing all I have to do is get up and dance. Or even just tap my feet to the beat. My music is calculated to make me get up and move, because I just can't sit still.

This specific example might not work for you, I have this thing where it's nearly impossible for me to totally ignore music, but you get my point.
                  The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

I love to cook when I'm stressed, especially new recipies. I tend to watch a lot of cooking shows and anytime one looks really good, I look it up online. The only downside is sometimes the ingredients can be hard to find and/or expensive. But nothing beats a culinary masterpiece.

Mr Jedi gardens to help deal with stress. And then I turn the produce into something yummy. I wish our peppers were doing a little better so I can stuff them. The other day I made bruchetta with tomatoes and basil that we grew. Once the peppers finally start producing, I'm gonna make a spinach basil pasta dish that is to die for.
                    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth Plaidman View Post

I just... can't muster it. The energy. The intrest I once had. Nothing sparks it anymore.
                      Its a catch 22. You don't get more unless you use more. A site I go to has an accountability thread. Basically, you post your goals (walk 10 minutes every day/twice a week/whatever) and you post after youre supposed to have done such thing. If you havent done it, you have a mess of people in your thread demanding to know why you haven't done it.

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
                      For example, ipods have an alarm feature that will play any playlist. I can hook mine up to my dock, and set it to play my dance music at a set time. Then when it starts playing all I have to do is get up and dance. Or even just tap my feet to the beat. My music is calculated to make me get up and move, because I just can't sit still.

This specific example might not work for you, I have this thing where it's nearly impossible for me to totally ignore music, but you get my point.
                      I didn't even realize this is where all my energy comes from. I don't own a TV and after a while i'll just plug in my ipod. Dance music, lots of electro pop, mainstream pop, etc and just start dancing around my living room. Its a burst of endorphins.
                      Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
                        Its a catch 22. You don't get more unless you use more. A site I go to has an accountability thread. Basically, you post your goals (walk 10 minutes every day/twice a week/whatever) and you post after youre supposed to have done such thing. If you havent done it, you have a mess of people in your thread demanding to know why you haven't done it.
                        Well, we have the "Getting back in shape thread" in off topic, and the Get In Shape social group...both places to post your progress (even if it's just "went for a walk for 15 minutes")...no one 'harrasses' anyone, but I bet if people were interested they could get a thread or group going to do just that

I didn't even realize this is where all my energy comes from. I don't own a TV and after a while i'll just plug in my ipod. Dance music, lots of electro pop, mainstream pop, etc and just start dancing around my living room. Its a burst of endorphins.
                        I find that watching shows like Dancing with the Stars and America's Got Talent (which I'm watching right now) make me want to dance (which I can't do but whatever, no one can see me )

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                          Well, we have the "Getting back in shape thread" in off topic, and the Get In Shape social group...both places to post your progress (even if it's just "went for a walk for 15 minutes")...no one 'harrasses' anyone, but I bet if people were interested they could get a thread or group going to do just that
                          I'm in "Getting back in shape" but its too.. kid gloves, you know? There's zero accountability. Its just "Oh yeah, worked out, cool." "oops didnt work out" theres no "Well, why didn't you work out then?" Not necessarily harrassment, just people wanting to know why. When you know you're going to have to explain yourself, it keeps you far more on track than normal. I'm a bit more hardcore (but not hardcore by any means) than the normal person in general.
                          Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
                            I'm in "Getting back in shape" but its too.. kid gloves, you know? There's zero accountability. Its just "Oh yeah, worked out, cool." "oops didnt work out" theres no "Well, why didn't you work out then?" Not necessarily harrassment, just people wanting to know why. When you know you're going to have to explain yourself, it keeps you far more on track than normal. I'm a bit more hardcore (but not hardcore by any means) than the normal person in general.
                            Yeah, I know. I don't post in there very often lately. Haven't been in the social group in quite a while, either. (That's here.) So I don't know how much accountability there is there, either. Perhaps we could get something going...

Comment

I'm late to this thread, but no one can do gloom like I can do gloom. And for me, I can sum it up with one word: restaurants.

I find eating out to be very therapeutic, no matter if it's a cheap burger joint, a diner, or some place with white tablecloths, crystal, and black cloth napkins. Just having someone else take care of me for a little bit, while I sit back and enjoy the food, and the people come and go around me is extremely comforting.
                              Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

Sleep. Gives me time to calm down and forget.

Listening to music.

Go on MW2 and destroy everyone.
                                "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Working...
                                X