Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The argument against that, though, is that the airline WILL get you to that destination.

Eventually.

Just not while this storm is going on and their planes are grounded.

Not saying I agree with that argument, just pointing it out.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

Well, there are several possibilities:

1) The airline gives up, and just issues a refund, and their responsibility ends there. This is probably less likely to happen with package holidays than bare flights, but since I don't use package holidays... Easyjet did this when Manchester was only open fitfully last year - I wasn't flying with them anyway, but I heard about it from the SAS reps. Of course, Easyjet is a no-frills airline, so they blindly assume that buying a ticket on a different flight is just as easy and cheap as it was in the first place (when it usually isn't).

2) The airline accommodates the passenger and gets them to their destination as best they can. National flagship carriers usually do this when possible, as did SAS under the same circumstances as above. They prioritised existing customers over new ex-Easyjet bookings, diverted me via their other hub, issued vouchers for meals when the initial delay exceeded several hours (to the consternation of the nearest burger joint to the gate), and gave me an overnight stay at one of their hotels when it proved impractical to get through the same evening - so I was there the following morning instead. This level of service does require that the passenger shows up within the normal check-in time, which I managed to do despite a major train delay.

3) The customer cancels the ticket because either the trip is no longer worthwhile, or they have found alternative transport which does a better job. This is what happened in the OP. Clearly in that case, the airline has failed to uphold their end of the bargain, even if it is due to circumstances beyond their control, so a refund is expected.
      Last edited by Chromatix; 12-28-2010, 07:06 AM.

Comment

aaand final update:

he's safe in virginia. apparently the freeways over there aren't that bad. he ended up driving there...and getting to norfolk 2 hours earlier than he expected.
        all's well that ends well, i suppose. now i'm looking for flights there in mid-february. ^_^
        If you want to be happy, be. ~Leo Tolstoy

i'm on fb and xbox live; pm me if ya wanna be "friends"
        ^_^

Comment

yeah va is good for snow... at least va beach area. it gets about 1 or 2 big snowfalls a year.

and it's been a while since i've been to the ORF airport but there should be a USO there. they also have some of the cheaper airlines there too like southwest. not sure if they have jet blue tho

Comment

Working...
          X