This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost cause?

I don't really think I have any recourse here, so I'm mostly just venting.

About 4 weeks ago, I got a commission from a friend of a friend to make a replica of a fruit tart that she sells in her bakery, to use as a display piece. I was thrilled with the commission and worked out the details with her, got the piece done, and she loved the pictures I sent of the final piece. I shipped it off to her on Feb. 27, over 3 weeks ago. She hasn't received it yet.

I shipped it First Class mail through the US Postal Service, since it was a pretty small and light weight item. Also, she is located in Austin and I am in San Antonio, so I didn't think Priority Mail would be necessary since we're so close (less than 100 miles.) But I didn't get it insured (I charged her $35, not a huge amount) and I didn't get a tracking number when I shipped it.

She is being super nice about it, so I don't think she got it and is lying to me to get another one. I told her I would re-make it for her and she sounded almost like she didn't want me to because she'd feel so bad about me putting more time into it. But I will remake it if it doesn't show up by next week. I don't have time to remake it this week anyway, since I have a show on Saturday that I am prepping for.

Is there anything I can do? I haven't contacted the post office yet since I don't have a tracking number or insurance.

Also, just for reference, I did have my return address on the package. And, on the same day that I shipped the fruit tart, I shipped another package to my cousin, also using First Class Mail, and she (located in Montana) received her's about 10 days after I shipped it.

Comment

Call the post office. There are ways they can track packages even if you don't have a tracking number. Also, sometimes carriers will remember if they delivered a package or not. Maybe it was mis-delivered or someone took it thinking there was salable stuff in it.

Comment

Can't hurt to call the post office and ask. Also have her check with her office. I sent something first class before Christmas that took a few weeks to get from New Jersey to Houston. I didn't have tracking or anything, and I asked a forum member who works for the post office about it, and she said to have the recipient check with her local post office (it was sent while she was away so her mail was being held; I sent it several days before she left hoping it would get there but it wasn't delivered until a couple weeks after she got home), and also to check with my PO to make sure it hadn't been returned and ended up misplaced there. She did get it, finally, before I had to call my PO.
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Well, we found it, sort of. The post office had a tracking number they were able to find, and it's on its way back to me -- I'll probably have it tomorrow, in fact. Turns out my buyer gave me the wrong apartment number. Although the one she did give me was for her neighbor, who never saw it either. I guess the postal person didn't recognize the name for the apartment number and didn't deliver it; that happened to me when I first moved in with my husband, before the postal person knew there was someone else living in my husband's apartment. I had a few pieces of mail sent back before mail forwarding kicked in. At least we know what happened to it.

Comment

Wonderful news. So glad it is not lost in the great beyond of the Dead Letter Office.

Comment

Working...
            X