This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job interview during work

My current job isn't doing so well, for various reasons, and I've been looking for a new one. I applied for a Postal Service job, took the exam, passed, they e-mailed me for permission to do a background check and drug test, and now I've got an interview with them!

Only problem is, it's this Friday, during the time I'm at work.

I do want the post office job. It is completely behind-the-scenes (no customer dealings), pays better then my current job and it most likely doesn't smell as bad. However, it's both very short notice and during my work hours. What would be the best thing for me to say to my boss?

I'd rather not lose my current job until I can get another one, though if I do, well, happens. OTOH, I'd rather not have a black mark on my work history and would prefer to leave on good terms.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

"Doctor's appointment"?
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Hubby's job knew he'd been having trouble with his dad's estate so he used "emergency requiring that I see my lawyer ASAP" as an excuse once. I've called off sick from several jobs, but I'm dishonest like that.

Comment

Most jobs I've had allow their employees to take 'family days.' Maybe see about that, or a personal day?

Comment

If you have to, just call off "sick". Or you can take a personal day or even burn a vacation day if need be. Sounds like you really want that job so do everything you can to NOT miss that interview. Crossing my fingers for ya!!

Comment

Could you just say you have to take care of something at home?
            "If you are planning not to tip, please let your server know before ordering so they can decide whether or not to wait on you" - from an advice column I read some time ago

Comment

tell them you have "An Appointment" you don't have to tell them its a Dr's appt, per se...they'll make that assumption on their own.... and you haven't lied...

Other Options include:
              1/2 Day - if your company allows that (things to take care of before close of business)

Depending on the time of the Interview - take a full 1 hr lunch (late or early)

if you are on good terms w/ your sup. be honest but tactful - looking for something else have interview, don't know that i'll actually get it be gone during these hours...
              I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

Use a sick or vacation day if you have it and/or if necessary. If not, ask for the day off in advance or if your company allows it, make up time for the time you were out or switch shifts with a co-worker you're cool with to cover you.
                I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth Treasure View Post
                  tell them you have "An Appointment" you don't have to tell them its a Dr's appt, per se...they'll make that assumption on their own.... and you haven't lied...
                  That's basically what I did.

Had the interview, I'll know by early next week how it turned out.
                  My LiveJournal

Comment

"an appointment"-- yep. Also, "Kidlet/cat/significant other/parent is needing care" or "I don't feel well."-- completely legit if you need mental health days! XD Like PatioKitty. :3
                    "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                    "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Didn't get the job.

Feh.
                      My LiveJournal

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                        Didn't get the job.

Feh.
                        Ouch. Sorry about that.
                        I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                        Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                        Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Feh indeed.
                          I wish to add a "poosticks" for good measure.
                          "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                          "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Working...
                          X