Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Step Daughter is Setting Herself on Fire (long, ranty, exhausted, and fed up)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Step Daughter is Setting Herself on Fire (long, ranty, exhausted, and fed up)

Okay, I’m a step father. We have one last kid still residing with us, who will be 17 in five days. When I became a step dad, I decided to read what people who have been step kids thought of their step dads, so that I could avoid those mistakes. I learned that the step parent should step aside and leave disciplining to the birth parent. It’s been hard, but I’ve tried my best. I also have never thrown anything up in our kids’ faces, such as the person who regularly told his step kids “Still eating my food? Then do what I say.”

Rant number 1. She is loudly proclaiming that once she is 17, we can no longer make her go to school. (Actually the law in question states we are not required to keep her in school once she is 17, but I digress). We’re home schooling her because she got expelled after buying dope for somebody else She is no longer even pretending to do her school work. Her reasoning: “I’ll be 17 next week, so what’s the point?”

Rant number 2. I have tried to open doors with this kid. I tried to think of things we could do together. I’ve stood aside and acted as a support for her mother while trying not to seem as if I’m out to replace her Dad. She shuts me out at every turn. I comprehend the emotional and psychological morass behind this, really I do.

More background: Biological Father is (to put it as mildly as I am able) an ass. With 6 kids and a 2 decade marriage, he walked out for a crack head half his age. In the span of 3 years that followed, he ran the business he owned into the ground buying drugs, getting arrested, and farting around until every client dropped him and his vehicle and equipment were repossessed.

The kids all treated Mom like a verbal punching bag while defending Dad at every turn. Again, I understand this. First of all, he’s the fun parent (or he used to be until he decided to vanish). Mom and I are the Big Green Meanies who insist on rules being followed, homework getting done, coming home on time, etc., etc. He’s the pal, the friend, the guy who takes them out to eat at expensive restaurants we can’t afford, who doesn’t enforce any rules, who undermines our efforts to discipline and maintain civilized behavior at every turn. Secondly, he’s the parent who runs off and disappears if he gets stressed out, while we are the ones who stay, no matter how badly we’re treated.

That’s enough catharsis for now. I’ll post more later.

I don't understand why you'd have to stand aside in discipline. It's your house too, and they're still dependent upon you. You should have some say in discipline, especially if their BioDad won't stand up to the plate on it.

And may I suggest you offer SD a choice? School or work? Either she does one or the other because you won't have a free loader in the house?
    My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Quoth Kheldarson View Post
      And may I suggest you offer SD a choice? School or work? Either she does one or the other because you won't have a free loader in the house?
      That's what my parents did. They also explained to me how living 'out of the system' was still being dependent on the system unless I managed to buy myself a property and live without ANY of society's resources. No filtered water. No sewerage. No power. Etc, etc.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Hm.

One more point. Whichever of you she trusts most, sit down and have a long talk about how she feels.

At 18/19, I was actually developing chronic fatigue syndrome, and completely unaware of it. I thought I was 'just not coping with adult life'. Guilt, on top of the pain and fatigue from the CFS, on top of the workload I'd set myself, basically overloaded me and I ended up getting very little accomplished. Which increased the guilt...

If she has a good relationship with your family doctor, let him/her know what's happening and ask if he/she can ask the right questions to detect depression or the subtle illnesses like CFS (or Lupus!).

Then send your daughter in for a couple of long consultations with the doc. (Yes, it might be expensive, but IMO, you really want to detect these things if they're there.)

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Honestly? Methinks you have no shot of having a decent relationship with this child until they grow up/out of this rebellion. The hierarchy of the home sounds destroyed and the child refuses to acknowledge parental authority. IMHO... Don't argue, set rules and consequences and enforce them. Be ready for world war three and to escalate the situation all the way to kicking her out and letting her pick up the pieces. Stand your ground, if only for the point of having tried to set limits. It's not about replacing a Father, it's about controlling your household.

Caring for a child does not mean allowing the child to abuse you. It doesn't matter who was the dominant parent or the "Step". It matters that the child is taking drugs and refusing to be educated. That is a one way ticket to the trailer park... or WORSE.

Walking in and throwing demands out will simply be defied. Getting angry will simply breed more negative emotions. It sounds like you need to find a "scared straight" or boot camp program and enroll her. I don't know the area you are in, but there might be cheap, or free help in your area. Try the school she was kicked out of. I assume she was kicked out on a "Zero tolerance" rule (Fratching anyone?) but that doesn't mean the staff or programs are told to never speak to you again. Most schools have at least a knowledge base to draw from. Not every professional is worth listening to.. Some are, and sometimes it's good to just vent to someone who has experience.
          You hold power over me and abuse it. I do not like it, and say so. Suddenly I am a problem.. FIND. A. MIRROR!

Comment

At heart, everyone thinks they're invulnerable. Can that be removed? I was pretty arrogant back then, and without reason.

Is there an adult learning centre around you can show her around if they're williing? A place that will show her the results of not learning and what jobs are available?

Is she fully aware that as of whatever age you're no longer obligated to feed/clothe/support her? You don't have to send her to school, but she has no right to demand anything from you after a certain point. Works both ways.

Seems to me she lacks any appreciation of consequences.

Rapscallion

Comment

Dytchdoctir - your story sounds very very similar to mine, except that I'm the stepmother. My stepdaughter was an absolute mess as a child and teenager. Her mother never appreciated having children (I have a stepson as well) and she lives in another state. When SD was 10, she accused her stepfather of molesting her. What did good old Mom do? Call Dad and say come get your daughter, she can't stay here anymore. We left home at about 9:30 PM on a work night and drove at least 2 1/2 hours north to meet them halfway and pick her up, and we had her until she ran away at 16 (and ended up back with mom, who was on husband #4 by then...but that's a whole other rant).

Even thought my SD had nothing in particular against me at first, I believed that she needed a strong mother figure - and I have to say that her dad was not stepping up to the plate as the birth parent and the person in charge, either. (Overall, though, we were both strict and didn't give in to whining/threats/tantrums/etc.) So gradually things between her and me got worse and worse and we'd end up in screaming matches. Sometimes my husband would get fed up, but instead of just dealing with her so I didn't have to, he'd yell at ME instead, and accuse me of not wanting to be part of the family. It was truly a nightmare. I only learned later that I really should have stepped back with both of my stepkids and I should have made their dad act like a parent and keep them in line (and pay attention to them in a positive way too).

After my SD left, life was rather peaceful at home for a few years - she was out on her own as soon as she turned 18, got married (the marriage lasted less than a year), moved out West, and then started somewhat of a nomadic life. Then one day she called her dad and he said she sounded truly terrible, as if she was at the end of her rope. The girl who always thought she could do anything and didn't need anyone's help was basically begging for us to take her back. I was very nervous, but she came back, and it wasn't too bad -- in fact she tried to help around the house and get along with everyone, and apologized for past behavior. About a year after that she met another young man who is now her husband of nearly two years, and she still has issues but she's working on them. I am much closer to her now, and she has all but written off her mother, at least for the time being.

Don't give up on your SD. That's not to say she should be able to walk all over you by any means. But if she someday sees you as a figure in her life who was consistent and really cared about her welfare and happiness, she may eventually come around. If you'd told me 5 or even 10 years ago that it would happen with me and my SD, I'd have laughed my head off...but time proved me wrong. Of course, your wife will have to stand her ground as well...and please keep your marriage healthy; don't let SD put a wedge between you. I wish you the best, and feel free to PM me if there's any other step-parenting stuff you might want advice on.
              "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Man.
                I know I'm strange, but...
                early in life, I understood that my parents made mistakes, were people, and had wants and desires, just like me. They apologized when they were wrong, and I understood that they wanted what they understood to be best for me-- they loved me. (Other than that, I could've been a disaster for them, were it not for Mom knowing that I was non-neurotypical and generally how to deal with that.)
                Perhaps actually outlining such things to them will help? Make it understood that you want them to be happy and healthy, and X, Y, Z, A, will do it, because of M, K, J, B, etc. Explain your behavior, and what you hope/think it will do.
                Although... I do agree a disconcerting number of teenagers (and even some of my current peers) only respond to the clue-by-four of reality... but, as we've seen on this site, sometimes... not even then.
                "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Whatever you do, have your wife on the same page with this matter...and all others come to think of it. Without a united front SD will play you, bio-dad and Mrs. Dytchdoctir against each other like chess pieces....I had cousins who made an art out just that.

Get Mrs. Dytchdoctir on the same page before you do anything. Is she the kind to hide behind her kids? Is SD the oldest, youngest or in the middle?
                  I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                  -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Some children learn from their parents.

Some children can only learn by teaching themselves.

Some children will never learn.

The latter two will break your heart, but letting them loose is the best for everyone concerned.

Comment

Some children learn from aunts, uncles, grandparents, and family friends.

Have you exhausted those resources yet? If not, use them.

Comment

Working...
                      X