This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth protege View Post
    The last thing I can think of, is that it could be something wrong with the alternator...which would hint that the battery isn't being charged correctly...or not at all!
    Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
    I would suggest having it checked as if it's not holding a charge, the one thing that no one here has mentioned yet(shame) is a non charging battery can be an alternator problem...
    Yup, already mentioned

Comment

So we replaced the battery with a brand spanking new one and it came out fine. I'll keep you guys updated though if I think the starter is going on the way to the grave.

We're going to look at getting the fuel injection system cleaned out to be on the safe side as well.
      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
        Or the really easy way to check-Start the vehicle then disconnect the battery. If the motor dies, you probably have a bad alternator.
        Don't do this on any modern car. Alternators produce three phase power that is rectified to a DC voltage using a cheap diode bridge inside the alternator. In addition to the normal roles the battery also acts as a filter to soak up the pulsations coming from the alternator. When you disconnect the battery you are exposing all the electronics in the car to that unfiltered power and can easily destroy them.

Obviously this isn't going to happen every time you pull the cable. Unfortunately if it does happen and you cook a couple of computers the repair cost can easily exceed the value of an older car.

If you want to confirm proper operation of the alternator go get a cheap Digital Volt Meter or better yet just stop by the parts store and have them perform a charging system test. They will test your battery and alternator normally at no charge.

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
          So we replaced the battery with a brand spanking new one and it came out fine. I'll keep you guys updated though if I think the starter is going on the way to the grave.

We're going to look at getting the fuel injection system cleaned out to be on the safe side as well.
          I hope the new battery fixes your problem!

On the fuel injection cleaning I personally don't put much stock in that kind of stuff unless it has been determined that there is an issue but if you want to clean them I would get a can of seafoam for the tank of gas. The product has a lot of followers who swera by it and most of the places that perform the service just use something similar and charge you 5x more.

Lifted text:
          SEA FOAM Motor Treatment is a 100% pure petroleum product that safely and effectively cleans internal fuel and oil system components, helping your gasoline or diesel engine run cleaner and more efficiently. SEA FOAM is an EPA-registered product, and will not harm engine components, seals, gaskets, catalytic converters or oxygen sensors.

SEA FOAM liquefies gum and varnish deposits or internal engine contaminants, removing carbon deposits, freeing sticky valve lifters and rings, curing rough idle, pinging and hesitation problems. By using SEA FOAM to eliminate varnish and carbon buildup, mechanics can more accurately diagnose mechanical problems that may exist. That is why Sea Foam has been so popular with professional mechanics for over 65 years.

As a fuel system additive, Sea Foam will clean fuel injectors, clean carbon, gum and varnish deposits, add lubricity to fuel,
          stabilize fuel for 2 years and control moisture.

Comment

Quoth Imprl59 View Post
            As a fuel system additive, Sea Foam will clean fuel injectors, clean carbon, gum and varnish deposits, add lubricity to fuel,
            stabilize fuel for 2 years and control moisture.
            Several of the guys on the MG boards swear by the stuff. I haven't tried it yet, since I have a feeling that I'm going to be replacing the gas tank anyway. After 42 years, it wouldn't surprise me if the top of the tank has pinholes. Pretty common on MGBs, actually--mud and moisture collects up there, and rots the tank out. Some of the guys on those boards, also recommend removing the gas tank, and having a radiator shop blast all the crud out of it.
            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

In terms of car repairs, this is what I've had to have replaced on mine in a year (which has thankfully been minor):

-Fuel sending unit (kept causing my fuel gauge to dip to empty when I hit around 150km).
              -Bumper and the underbody along the back (dented after a rear-end)
              -Front headlight (the globe was fine, the actual casing around the light was smashed from I don't know what exactly, either something flew into it or I accidentally tapped another car)
              -aircon switch (still not sure what the go is with my aircon exactly . It DOES work though, but the switch is screwed)
              -CD player (this was due to the aircon switch, when dad tried to fix the aircon switch, he accidentally tripped the security on my car radio and none of us could figure out how to input the code. I didn't miss it thankfully )
              -Battery.

My sister on the other hand, had her radiator blow out COMPLETELY on the side of the road.

Comment

Ladies and gentleman, I finally give you the solution to my problem, after we replaced the battery and ran a fuel injector cleaner through.

One tiny little spark plug needed changing

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                  One tiny little spark plug needed changing
                  I remember when my DeSoto didn't seem as peppy as it had been... only 3 of the 8 spark plug wires were really working.
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I've been driving diesels so long I don't even think of spark plugs.

Comment

OK my judgement was a little false.

Turns out that there were a few factors that we overlooked:

-According to the service logs, my fuel filter only needs changing every 20,000km.
                      -My car runs on a carburettor, NOT an EFI system. We still ran some fuel injector cleaner through it though and on the whole, my fuel gauge is reading slightly better than usual.

On the whole, my car was sounding a LOT worse. So now it's off with the professionals. Fortunately due to the connections with my neighbour, we know this guy is reliable. Turns out that part of the problem was that one of the connections decided to shat itself so my car was not running on all four cylinders.
                      Last edited by fireheart; 01-18-2012, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X