This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hopeful yet fearful

I'm planning on returning to school to become a laboratory technician/medical technologist. I plan on working through to get my bachelors but if I can start as a technician with an associates I'll do that as well (and go to school while working).

If there's one important thing that my brief career as a medical assistant taught me it's that I am - without a doubt - not a people person. Being in a lab and away from patients would be a good job for me. I think this may also be why my current job gives me a subtle sense of unease. I like it, but when dealing with people with disabilities you have to be diplomatic to an extent. That is simply not a strong point of mine.

I have no doubt about being able to complete the program and earn my degree. What I am nervous about is getting a job when I'm finished. I've read that the field is expected to grow over 14% between now and 2018 but I'm still afraid of finishing, not being able to find a job, and end up stuck where I am with even more debt.

I really don't know what I want to get out of posting this. Maybe some support and encouragement. Also advice on how to network. I did plan on getting my CNA cert and working in a hospital to get some references, but seeing as I really don't like people I don't know if that would be a good idea. Lately I've been feeling stuck in a rut. To an extent the idea of getting my degree gives me hope but that's overshadowed by the feeling of dread that it won't work out and I'll be in an even worse position than I am now.

That's what I'm trying to do! I have a B.S. in biology and want to be a medical technologist. I need a year of lab experience to be able to take the certification test though, so we're in similar boats here. If you're going into a medical technology degree program, I believe you do a clinical internship, so you'd be able to network that way once you get to that point. I have phlebotomy certification now and am trying to work my way into a hospital to get my lab experience.

Like you said, the job market for this field is expected to be pretty good for the next few years. I'm always seeing postings for CLS/MTs when I go to apply for jobs on hospital websites, so I don't think you really need to worry too much about that. You can do this PM me if you want to talk more.

Comment

I can't tell you how much it relieves me that someone's in the same position. I appreciate your response.

Comment

Working...
      X