This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dry shaving

So, I have a new job! I'll share more about it later and in other threads, but this job means I have to get up early, early extra early every morning. Since we don't like to spend money on heat, this past winter I got into the habit of shaving dry- no lather, no soap, just taking a blade shaver and scraping my face til smooth.

It seems to be working well- does anybody else have suggestions, etc? I haven't had to buy a new shaver cartridge in months, either. Does anybody else do this? How's it working for you? Thanks!
    "Them boys ain't zombies! They're just stupid!"

I used to do that but the hair seems to stay away longer after using shaving cream. Be carefull of dull blade cuts, those hurt like ****!!

Comment

Aaaahhhh! It took me five minute to calm down after reading that. I use to slice my face up even with shaving cream. That is why I have had a beard for over 20 years.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I've done it multiple times but I try not to. Much more prone to cutting myself and you just don't get as clean a shave. Hurts more too.
        "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

It's not the first time I've heard of this. People who advocate for dry-shaving say that shaving creams only weaken your face, and that a dry shave is supposed to help with nicks. Though I'd imagine the blade makes a pretty big difference...

What did you do to jump into dry-shaving? Was there any kind of transition period where it was rough for a while, or did it just take?

As for blades, I've been running my blades past an old pair of jeans. It's supposed to straighten out the metal that gets bent during normal use and keep them sharper much longer than they would otherwise. Run it with the blade, not against it. Of course that just about destroys that little lube strip, but you're dry-shaving anyway.

Comment

Regarding Bronzebow's comments about nicks, I think it's a young man's problem. I own, somewhere, a styptic pencil that stops nicks from bleeding. I would have trouble finding it because it's been years since I last cut myself shaving.

I think that experience helps with this- i remember that when I started shaving my hand shook because it was all 'oh my god, i'm about to run a razor sharp blade across my face". Many years later, I know to hold the shaver at the far end of the handle, not near the blade end, and I know to take short strokes and not to press hard against my face.

About the transition to dry-shaving, it was more of an "oh my god, I've got to be at work in 20 minutes and I haven't fed the cat or taken out the trash or made my lunch". So I grabbed my shaver, did small bits at a time, and tapped out the beard residue in the trash.

I'm reassured now, though, because the earlier posters may not exactly enjoy dry shaving, it doesn't cause terrible sores or anything like that. And I do enjoy wet shaving when I have time, it's just not something for 4am when I have to get up and boost. I'd actually like to learn how to shave with a mug, bristle brush, shaving soap, and a straightedge razor like my great-grandpa. Of course, this raises the bar on possible injury from nicks. Again, any experience with this?
            Last edited by Salesmonkey; 04-11-2012, 01:47 AM. Reason: I can't spell!
            "Them boys ain't zombies! They're just stupid!"

Comment

I've done it, and the duller the blade gets the more painful it gets. Also, the more you have to deal with razor burn.

You might want to look into getting an electric razor. They're quick and you can find them fairly cheaply anymore.

SC
              "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

Quoth BroSCFischer View Post

You might want to look into getting an electric razor. They're quick and you can find them fairly cheaply anymore.
                I use an electric razor, mostly because at early o'clock I wouldn't trust myself with a blade of any description anywhere near my face. The initial outlay can be expensive, or as cheap as you like but you do get what you pay for, mostly (very often there is a range of 'extras' but have the same cutting blades etc).

It would be useful before you buy an electric razor to check the prices of foils/blades so you know what your running costs will be.

I used to sell electric razors - if you want anymore vaguely useful advice from me let me know (after all I won't be trying to sell you anything!)
                A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Another option you could look at is a half-way house of using a shaving oil/lotion instead of full-on soap or foam; this gives you enough lubrication to avoid razor burn while not requiring all the theatrics of a "proper wet shave".

I used to dry-shave when in a hurry & my face hated it, but then my face hates all kinds of shaving; luckily my wife's always known me bearded & gets quite freaked out about me even discussing the idea of losing it!
                  This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                  I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I think the amount of pain or non-pain varies from guy to guy. I have dry-shaved at various times, and have had other guys stare at me in absolute horror when they saw me doing so, as if I had just used an acid-soaked machete to clean my face.

I prefer using shaving cream, and usually do, and find that my cartridges last longer with cream than without. Your mileage may vary, depending on what kind of razors/cartridges you use. I used to use the ultra-cheap disposable kind, but over the last few years, I have become enamored of the four-bladed Shick Quattro.

One bit of advice with dry shaving....just a bit of water on the face before you start using the razor, to at least give it some lubrication. That being said, as I said above, my cartridges are good for more shaves when I stick to the cream, and I have also found I get a better (i.e. closer and smoother) shave with cream than if I dry shave. This difference has become more obvious since I shaved off my goatee a while back, and am now shaving my whole face, rather than just around the goat.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                    Still A Customer."

Comment

I almost exclusively dry shave. There is something in the shaving cream/foam/gel that irritates and burns my skin to no end. Never mind that the scent always triggers an asthma attack.

I probably do go through razor cartridges faster then if I used a cream/foam/gel, but until I can find a cream/foam/gel that doesn't burn/trigger an attack....

Had to laugh at a parents reaction when I was shaving one time, Parent stuck head into bathroom as I'm getting the to be shaved spot wet. Watched as I got the razor wet, and then gave me a look of horror as I ran the blade over the wet skin, rinsed the razor, and did the next run with the razor.

Parent: How the do you do that with no shaving foam and not cut your skin to shreds.
                      Me: *shrugging but keeping my hand steady as the blade runs over my skin*

I do have an electric razor that I use from time to time for some spots, but I prefer the razor blade for a closer shave.

Comment

I have gotten that same look of horror from people when they've seen me dry shave. Amusingly, I think I was well into my 30s before I ever actually cut myself shaving, dry or wet.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                        Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                        X