This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self-editing motivation

I have finally gotten around to writing another book, but in that process, I've taken another look at my Dracula-related novel "Ethermark."

It is a mess. Reading it was like reading a Twilight knockoff book (nightlight. Never read Twilight, but if it's anything like Nightlight....UGH!). I had to keep taking BREAKS, it was that bad.

So now is time to edit it. I haven't the money to pay anyone.

I've already decided on making actual character sheets instead of relying on memory, and know that an outline would be good, too. All that's going to get done.

Any other tips?

(Note: Will be self-publishing)
    My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Find someone who will read it and offer feed back. They don't need to edit, but it is always a good idea to have someone who is not you read your work before publishing it. They will tend to spot things that you won't simply because you wrote it.

This can be a close friend, a family member, or whatever.

Also: http://www.writingexcuses.com/ -- this is a podcast that has all sorts of episodes with hints, tips, and whatever about writing.

http://www.writingexcuses.com/2011/0...alpha-readers/

This episode particularly explains the importance of Alpha readers and why they are not editors.

That said, I do not mind being an alpha reader for you if you want, so long as you don't mind really slow feed back. I have a habit of procrastinating, a lot.

Comment

I am currently re-editing my first novel for publication. Here is something that helped me immensely:

Write detailed chapter summaries for every chapter. I mean, every detail, everything that happens, every bit of information you are revealing to the reader. It's tedious but by having these summaries in front of you, you can see exactly what can be cut, what doesn't make sense, where details aren't consistent.

And find a local writing group. They are usually at libraries or bookstores and meet weekly or monthly. You can edit the hell out of it, but without a fresh pair of eyes or two you'll never really get honest feedback.

Good luck!
      https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Identify the structure of the story.

Start with is it comedy (happy ending) or tragedy (sad ending)?

If comedy, the protagonist starts out okay, at about the 60% stage of the book, everything is absolutely awful, then at the end it's good.
        If tragedy, the other way around.

Either way, the protagonist has a severe personal flaw. At the 60%-ish stage, he/she faces that flaw. Around the 75%-ish stage, he/she either defeats it (comedy) or doesn't (tragedy).

Similarly, the antagonist should have a severe personal flaw. At the same point, more or less, the antagonist also faces their flaw.

Usually, if it's comedy for the protagonist, it's tragedy for the antagonist, and vice versa. (It's possible for this not to be the case, but that's harder to write)

Then determine major influences on both the protagonist and the antagonist, during the key elements of the story.

In fact, make sure you're telling the right part of the protagonist's life. A lot of the time, people start too early in the protagonist's life, or finish too late. Start just when things are coming to a head.

For example, in Star Wars (a new hope - original film), we only ever see a single scene of Luke with his aunt and uncle - the story starts with Luke having to leave. It ends with Luke getting a reward for his success.

Select the characters you absolutely must have. Then see if any pairs or trios can be merged into the same character - for instance, if you have a named merchant in chapter 1, and a named traveller in chapter 5, see if you can make the merchant a travelling merchant and use him twice.

Select events that absolutely must occur. Determine whether they lift or lower the mood, and hasten or reduce the pace. Arrange them so that while the overall arc is either a smile (comedy) or a sadface (tragedy), there's variety in the mood. Arrange them so the pace never drags, but is also never rush-rush-rush hurry-hurry. Intersperse it all.

NOW you're ready to start arranging it into chapters....
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
        X