This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College financial aid question

this is for my husband because he doesn't have a profile here.
    Husband is applying to get into an art institute which is a certified college etc.
    They have been very lenient and nice with him based on his drawings and knowledge and done all they can to provide financial aid, grant and loan info.

The question is, should he be concerned that they are already acting like he is in and has the loans even though he has not finished working on his portfolio and finished the application entry. he already has a school id number and doing financial aid paperwork.

should this be taken as a good thing? worry? do most colleges do this or don't look into it too much? i am worried too but then again i went to community college that as soon as you paid for classes you were in.

I had to submit financial aid information at the same time that I submitted my college applications for initial consideration. It's because they tend to offer a financial aid/scholarship award at the same time they offer admission. This way, if your husband was applying for different schools and had to choose one based on the financial aid package, he wouldn't have to wait on information from the school later. It's fairly normal.

"When your deepest thoughts are broken, keep on dreaming, boy; when you stop dreaming it's time to die" -- Blind Melon

Comment

cool. he was worried that they were trying to get him in before he even sent in his application. having been screwed over many times before i came along he gets wary if it seems too good to be true to him.

thank you

Comment

Quoth Midnight12 View Post
        cool. he was worried that they were trying to get him in before he even sent in his application. having been screwed over many times before i came along he gets wary if it seems too good to be true to him.

thank you
        No problem. Good luck to both of you!

"When your deepest thoughts are broken, keep on dreaming, boy; when you stop dreaming it's time to die" -- Blind Melon

Comment

If you're in the US, and if he hasn't done so, make sure he completes the FAFSA.
          Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Quoth 42_42_42 View Post
            If you're in the US, and if he hasn't done so, make sure he completes the FAFSA.
            This! Even if the school doesn't ask for it, filling out the FAFSA opens up all kinds of scholarships / grants that the school may not be aware of. I had to do the FAFSA just to get my school's grant for retraining workers (funded by the state I believe) other than that - they will let you in if you qualify based on scholastics / skill and let the student work out if they can pay for the classes once registered.

Depending on the time between registering for class and paying for it, most financial aid will have come thru / been approved by the deadline.
            If he is worried about it, have him check on the refund dates - every school I've been to has let you drop registration for 100% reimbursement of tuition if somehow your funding falls thru. If the school has promised funding and hasn't reimbursed him by the 100% refund deadline then unless he is willing to pay for it himself he would be better off dropping the quarter and enrolling for the next.

However, in my case, I paid for my tuition out of pocket and was reimbursed in a timely manner once I turned in the receipt - is that the part he is worried about?

Also, once he fills out the FAFSA - have him check for all kinds of wild grants (offered from outside sources) you wouldn't believe the oddball grants out there - I know, I've checked a lot!

Comment

FASFA has been completed and done, he got a pell grant and one other i believe. thats been applied, sent his school transcripts and just waiting now
              he is trying to get his portfolio up by doing a drawing or two every day as he needs at least 30. (10 of one thing 10 of another and 10 of another. i forget which but they all look very awesome...well compared to mine at least) he is aiming for the fall/autumn semester as that begins in october as there is no way he could make the june summer one since we need to move to get there.

Comment

Working...
              X