This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooking without a Stove

So I found this really sweet room. I get my own fridge, but there's no stove either in the room or in the house I'll be sharing with a few other people. There's a little kitchen sink, but it's only there so we can wash our own dishes.

Though I'll probably get a microwave, I would like to try alternatives since not everything that goes in a microwave is necessarily healthy for you.

So I'm thinking of what appliances I could get. The room is spacious, there's no carpet and I could probably get a slow cooker or something. Basically I'm looking for any and all suggestions. Appliances, recipes, etc.

how can the kitchen have no stove?

But anyway start with a one burner hotplate and a crock pot maybe. Is there a bbq or something outside?
    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

I would take telecom goddess' suggestion and add a toaster oven.

Get Healthy Choice dinners. They follow the American Diabetes Association's Exchange Diet guidelines.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Telecom I was without a stove since the day I moved into my trailer to the day I moved out.

My suggestion is to not skimp on getting a GOOD slow cooker. I highly recommend this one. LINK

A electric skillet I have... LINK
        Last edited by Aethian; 08-14-2012, 09:42 PM.

Comment

What about a rice cooker? They are awesome - my new one even has a steamer basket that goes on top that can steam veggies, shrimp and chicken.
          I used to have several Crock pots - got them for cheap at the thrift store.
          You can also find those electric fry pans for fairly cheap at garage sales (just check the cord).

Comment

Microwave.

Toaster oven.

Toaster.

Electric griddle/skillet.

Rice steamer.

Crock pot.

Electric kettle.

Food processor/blender.

There are actually a lot of options for those without a stove. It just takes figuring out what you will use, what you have space to use, and what won't be more hassle than it's worth.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I've been using a toaster oven for the last year for all my cooking/baking (the oven in this house doesn't work and it's not my house). I even bake my bread in it. I'd look for one that will fit a 9x13 pan if you get one. I don't use the crockpot as much (borrowed since mine got left in Alaska) since it boils liquids on low. I do use it for things like stew and french dips but it makes chicken come out funky.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                Microwave.

Electric kettle.

Food processor/blender.

^-.-^
                Our store just started carrying the Magic Bullet, so I might jump on that in the weeks to come. An electric kettle is almost a given since noodles are the single man's dietary staple.

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
                how can the kitchen have no stove?
                The house I'm renting the room in is actually owned by a real estate company. There are studios in the same house that presumably have a stove, but I'm renting one of the rooms. The landlady said she had the kitchen sink installed but balked at the idea of a full kitchen because it would encourage people to leave a sink full of dirty dishes.

Sounds ridiculous, but I've lived with roommates so this makes some bit of sense. Still, I have my own refridgerator in the room so honestly it's a step up from having to worry about my stuff being taken, or not having enough room for anything.

Comment

Quoth NateTheChops View Post
                  Our store just started carrying the Magic Bullet, so I might jump on that in the weeks to come. An electric kettle is almost a given since noodles are the single man's dietary staple.
                  I have a magic bullet and it's a hit or miss on what you put into it. So look into some of the other processors as well. The ex had a nice one that he had gotten from wally world for 10 bucks.

Comment

This is the electric kettle I have. It's nice because you can just throw a can or two of soup in it to heat it up. It's basically a hotplate with a built in pot.

Comment

Quoth 24601 View Post
                      This is the electric kettle I have. It's nice because you can just throw a can or two of soup in it to heat it up. It's basically a hotplate with a built in pot.
                      I had one of those, make sure you get a good sponge to clean it out while still warm.

Comment

Quoth NateTheChops View Post
                        Our store just started carrying the Magic Bullet, so I might jump on that in the weeks to come.
                        The place I work for got a whole bunch of those in a surplus lot. Either the people we sold them to were blithering idiots (not inconceivable) or the lot we got were rather delicate for what they're supposed to be used for.

I gave one to my mom, but will have to ask to know if she uses it at all.

Re: Electric kettles. Don't get one with a plastic push lever; it'll break, leaving you with essentially a heavy pitcher.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

my sister has a george foreman grill, it works really well.
                          Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
                          Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

When I bought my house, we spent our first year in it with no stove. The one at the old house was SO old and decrepit we didn't bother to bring it with us and I couldn't buy a new one right away.

We used microwave, crock pot, electric skillet and toaster oven for everything. Even figured out how to cook pasta in the electric skillet (you just have to careful not to slosh the water over the edge). We had an electric kettle for hot water for tea, and an electric coffee maker.

A good toaster oven can be used to roast or bake small cuts of meat (chops, steaks, etc). Our first Thanksgiving here, we bought a smoked turkey that we just heated through in an electric roaster. And crock pots/slow cookers are great for all kinds of meals. You can even bake in one!
                            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

My recommendations would be:

Slow cooker, for obvious reasons.

Toaster oven, for small batch baking..

Electric griddle, for things like pancakes, bacon, grilled cheese, you can even do meat on it like burgers and chicken. Most things that you would think of doing in a skillet on the stove, you can do on a griddle.

George Foreman Grill, although most things you can do with this you can do with the griddle, so if you don't want both, I'd go for the griddle first.

Rice cooker, so you have a way to make things like rice and pasta. It doesn't have to be a separate appliance; we have a rice cooker that's basically a big plastic tub with a locking lid that goes in the microwave and works great.

Comment

Working...
                              X