This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just An IT Guy Anymore

Hello, all. I found this site from a friend of mine on IRC. I'm still way behind, but catching up on all the activity, and have even learned a few of the names.

That reminds me, I haven't run across any Jester postings in the Cursing Out Coworkers forum. Need to check, I liked his posts.

Anyway, I've not directly done customer service for a while. I'm in IT (that's right, I'm the guy who breaks your otherwise working computer! ). However, I do have some doozies to share, if you all would like to hear them.

Heck, one of them would be an epic multi-part about the last place I worked, and all about just the Morons In Management (oh, and a few customers, and some coworkers you won't believe).

But, before I post anything, I figured I should ask if such stories would be welcome, since they're from the IT guy, and not from the front lines of customer service.

Even if not, I hope you all don't mind my reading the backlog. Some amazing stuff in there.

And just to say hello to a few of the names that I've started to learn, though am still behind on what's current for them as far as jobs go:

Ree! what is that avatar of yours? I'm mightily confused by it. And I hoep that your whole saga with HC is but a distant memory by now.

MadMike: i love that avatar. Unfortunately, I was one of the geeks in high school in the 80's, and didn't get into the music until later, so I know pretty much squat about Iron Maiden. Care to point me to some choice music to listen to? No, no downloads needed. I work near a used CD store, and can find them, just don't know what to buy.

NightAngel: Any chance you ever heard what happened with that psycho DL from Blockbuster? I hope she got canned. Or, at the least, had to issue written apologies to everybody (including you).

Jester: I hope you're still around. Strange as it may seem, your posts are among the ones I always read. And after reading the Saga of Shit Weasel... That story, more than anything else, is what makes me want to share the stories I do have. I think you all would appreciate them.

And, finally, you've all made me even more aware of how I can be perceived as a customer. I've always tried to be nice, but after starting to read here, it's even more so. Every one of you takes such crap from the customers that I feel guilty if I *don't* try to make up for it somehow.

Quoth Pedersen View Post
    MadMike: i love that avatar. Unfortunately, I was one of the geeks in high school in the 80's, and didn't get into the music until later, so I know pretty much squat about Iron Maiden. Care to point me to some choice music to listen to? No, no downloads needed. I work near a used CD store, and can find them, just don't know what to buy.
    Believe it or not, I was too, actually. Didn't start to get into the heavy stuff until my senior year, and didn't get into the really heavy stuff until my college days.

In my opinion, the earlier Bruce Dickinson stuff is the best. A lot of people will say "The Number of the Beast" is their best, and while it is a damn good album, my personal favorite is "Piece of Mind."

Hope this helps.
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

We like all stories. If you haven't seen it, there is a forum called "Unsupportable" all about the people who should have to have a license to operate a computer. And feel free to read to your little heart's content . Welcome to the boards.

BTW, if I'm not mistaken, Ree's avatar (and I just figured this out from a comment in another new member post) is a sonogram of her soon-to-be grandchild.

Jester is still around; he tends to disappear from time to time but he always pops back to the surface.

That's all I can answer from your list...but jump on in and start posting!

-ams-
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
        BTW, if I'm not mistaken, Ree's avatar (and I just figured this out from a comment in another new member post) is a sonogram of her soon-to-be grandchild.
        Why, yes it is ...although, not exactly soon...October is a few months away. I know...those things are only beautiful to their own families. To everyone else...they're kind of creepy.

Anyway, to CS, Pedersen.
        You seem very familiar with the place. It's great to have you as a member.

I no longer deal directly with HC, but she does have a hand in making my workdays miserable from time to time. Thank you for asking.
        Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
          To everyone else...they're kind of creepy.
          Creepy? No, not creepy. But, since I've only somewhat paid attention to the avatars, Rorshach took hold, and for the longest time, I thought it was a picture of an owl taken through a night vision scope. Took me a while to figure out that I was completely wrong. And then I couldn't figure it out for the life of me. Never looked at a sonogram before, so that's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it

Quoth Ree View Post
          You seem very familiar with the place. It's great to have you as a member.
          Well, I should be more familiar than many new folks. After all, I read all the war stories. Then I went and read most of the first 10 pages of Sucky Customers. Lots of Cursing out Coworkers. All (yes, all) of Morons in Management. Much of the Sightings board, same for Unsupportable. And then I started posting. So, should be at least somewhat familiar. And even if I don't consciously pay attention to the names all the time, some of them sink in here and there

Quoth Ree View Post
          I no longer deal directly with HC, but she does have a hand in making my workdays miserable from time to time. Thank you for asking.
          I'm sorry to hear it. Maybe the day will come that she finally gets let go, or just moves on on her own. I'll hope so for you, since she sounds like a true joy to deal with.

Comment

We like all stories.
            Well, that's good, since I've got a few to tell. Including my epic Legend of Dislexic Schizophrenics. I'm not even going to bother posting it as one post. I worked there for nearly three years, and the number of stories that I have there... Here's a small idea of it: in a building with 3 office areas, (no one of which had more than 4 desks) I had 9 of them. The owner is, most likely, guilty of fraud (though I'm unable to prove it). When the owner was lying, he stuttered (seriously). And most days that he was in the office, he stuttered.

I'd better stop, I could get this post moved to Morons in Management pretty easily. Most of my posts will be about this place, I can assure you. And, if I can hone my writing skills a bit, you should enjoy them rather much

Welcome to the boards.
            Thanks! Here's hoping the stories go over well!

Comment

Working...
            X