This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It ain't called "USA Yesterday"

Monday night, I bought a newspaper to have something to read while eating dinner (this truck stop only carries the flagship of the Gannet chain). After dinner, I noticed something was wrong, and mentioned it to the cashier of the truck stop's convenience store (wasn't a problem for me - it was an issue I hadn't read yet) - it wasn't the current issue (July 28th), but one for the 24th (Thursday of previous week).

Cashier went to the pile of newspapers, and not all of them were for the 24th - a few at the bottom were for the 21st. Also, the "Sports Weekly" (I don't follow sports) had a few of the current issue, and batches of several different outdated issues - if they'd gone one issue older than the oldest one in the stack, it'd have gone into May.

Apparently when the new issue came in, they'd just drop the stack onto whatever was still in the rack, without clearing out the old issues. I understand that they can get credit for returning unsold copies, but there's got to be a time limit on that, so letting old ones build up can cost the store money. Also, I can just imagine the SC behaviour (even though this happened in NJ rather than SC) if someone found out that they'd just paid 2 bucks for a newspaper (oldspaper?) from the previous week.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Surely you'd want to keep on top of the returns for the store credit? Not let them build up!
    I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Just a lazy delivery guy, then x.x

We have issues (ha!) with the *other* paper in town's delivery guy. At certain locations, we have granted them permission to use our (clearly-branded) newspaper racks, on the simple condition that they are not allowed to place their papers on the top level. While our top level will sometimes run out, we leave plenty extra on the lower levels to replace them, but, of course, we're the only ones who ever move them up -- we ask everyone on staff to do so whenever they happen to be in said store.

Competitor's driver, at our biggest-selling local store, has decided that he doesn't really need to comply with this restriction. Not only does he repeatedly put his papers on the top rack, we have found that the little shit has put them *on top of our actual papers* more than once. Not cool. I mean, I realize that our weekly paper has significantly more readers, and better circulation, than their daily paper, but come on...We've been trying to get the bosses to have a little...chat...with their distribution department for a while now. Wish us luck on that front x.x
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

The guys I hate the most that come into my store are the ones that bring in the free circulars (apt guide, employment news, etc.) They will put them on top of other papers and in front of magazines. When I face that area and find these offenses, they are instant garbage.

Comment

Most places here in NZ that I know of require the shop to clip the logo and date from the front page (so basically the top couple of inches of the page) from the returns and simply give those to the delivery person as proof of unsold copies (though AFAIK the delivery person can request to sight the full paper to ensure they are not being ripped off), once this is done, the unsold papers can be binned/given away/shredded and used for puppy training
          Violets are blue,
          Roses are red,
          I bequeath to thee...
          A boot to the head >_>

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
            Competitor's driver, at our biggest-selling local store, has decided that he doesn't really need to comply with this restriction. Not only does he repeatedly put his papers on the top rack, we have found that the little shit has put them *on top of our actual papers* more than once.
            Sounds like a need for an ultimatum. "We allowed you to use our racks at these locations so long as you didn't use the top rack. Your delivery driver at location X is not only using the top rack, but putting your papers ON TOP OF OURS. This stops NOW, or we will no longer allow you to use our racks."

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
              "This stops NOW, or we will no longer allow you to use our racks."
              Or even simpler, "if we find any of your papers on top of ours, we will discard them." That might get their attention.

Comment

They must be considering converting to doctors offices or something similar. They always have two-year old magazines...

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
                  Or even simpler, "if we find any of your papers on top of ours, we will discard them." That might get their attention.
                  My understanding is that these are not free papers (EricKei mentions "biggest selling local store"), so the store needs to either send the supplier money for the sold papers, or return the unsold papers (possibly intact, possibly just the masthead). Discarding the papers would only hurt the store - and possibly result in the store discontinuing EricKei's paper but keeping the infringer.

Comment

How about "we will throw your papers in a disorganized heap on the floor"?
                    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
                    OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
                    she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
                    Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

We generally go with Deserted's strategem Really just upside down on the bottom rack ,but it has the same net effect, plus it doesn't make a mess that the people *working* at the store will need to clean up
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
                        If we find your papers on ours, or on the top shelf, they will be placed aside and returned for credit. They will not be sold. you will lose the sales. (hit them where they feel it - in their sales)

Comment

Working...
                        X