This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another "do you work here?" story

So tonight I'm in full uniform, which includes a manager's vest, pulling the sales tags that expire tonight off the shelves, and putting them in a garbage bag I have on my arm. In order to reach some of the top shelves, I was on a ladder.

You guessed it.

"Excuse me, do you work here?" Now I'll give her points for politeness, but really?

I wanted to say "No, I just go into random stores, climb on their ladders, and RIP the sales tags off the merchandise" But then I got to thinking, what kind of stores does she shop in where seeing someone tear sales tags off would make you wonder if they were an employee of that store? I mean, most people who are going to cheat would take A tag off A lower priced item and stick it on A higher priced item. But someone taking them off multiple items and putting them in a bag???? Is this some kind of new trend in customerness that I'm unaware of???? Is the idea to make other customers think there is no sale price, so that you are the only one who gets the item on sale???

I think that people use "Do you work here" as their opening. Instead of saying something like "Excuse me, could you help me?"

Comment

It's like asking "are you open" when they're standing opposite you, and you're behind the counter, and they've been queuing for 5 minutes...

You'll be unsurprised to hear I've said "nope" more than once
      This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
      I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
        It's like asking "are you open" when they're standing opposite you, and you're behind the counter, and they've been queuing for 5 minutes...

LOL can I haz a LIKE button?

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post

Been there, done that...I get those kinds all the time.

Even worse, is when the gates/doors are closed, my pastry showcase is empty, the lights are off, and they come up and rattle said gates and say, "Are you closed?"

More than once I've turned and said, "Yes, that's why the gates are locked."

I swear, some of them shoot you a look like you've kicked them in the nuts. How bloody stupid can you be?
          The customer is always right until I decide he isn't.

Comment

Please, if you see someone pushing a cart around, heavy leather coat on, large pocketbook in the seat, for the love of Cheese, do NOT ask where the sheets are for baby beds.

Had this happen earlier today at the Kinship Money store when I buzzed in for paper towels and a couple of other cleaning necessities. I simply eyed her and replied "I have no idea, I don't work here" and toodled off toward the front end to check out.

Seriously? Go find someone in the store uniform.
            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
              Please, if you see someone pushing a cart around, heavy leather coat on, large pocketbook in the seat, for the love of Cheese, do NOT ask where the sheets are for baby beds.

Had this happen earlier today at the Kinship Money store when I buzzed in for paper towels and a couple of other cleaning necessities. I simply eyed her and replied "I have no idea, I don't work here" and toodled off toward the front end to check out.

Seriously? Go find someone in the store uniform.
              I have to assume these people, if they ever needed a cop, would probably walk into a police station and ask the first person they saw wearing a uniform and a badge, "Excuse me, are you a cop?"
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I will admit that several times during my long and painful tenure as a cashier, I have said "nope"

Comment

But you could have just been pretending to work there

Some customers are just outright twits, but I think sometimes if they have had a long day their brains are just in a "lights are on but nobody is home" mode and they really just do not notice if you are in a uniform or not.

Comment

Quoth Canadian In Maine View Post
                    Been there, done that...I get those kinds all the time.

Even worse, is when the gates/doors are closed, my pastry showcase is empty, the lights are off, and they come up and rattle said gates and say, "Are you closed?"

More than once I've turned and said, "Yes, that's why the gates are locked."

I swear, some of them shoot you a look like you've kicked them in the nuts. How bloody stupid can you be?
                    Had this when I worked 3rd shift for Awful-mart. The service desk was in a room, with the lights off and 'lane closed' signs on every counter. People would stand at the service desk for 5-10 minutes and then come find me and ask 'excuse me, is Customer Service closed?'

And sadly, I too would look at them sometimes and say 'Yep, that would explain why all the lights are off'

Comment

Oh yes. The best one so far was when I was cleaning the front of store window ledges (which involves hauling all the shopping carts out of the way, a few lines at a time, then replacing them after cleaning the ledges) There I am doing this, full uniform of course, elbows deep in the task and I hear 'Do you work here?'

Seriously, missus. Who the heck do you think would do this for fun?
                      Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

My work uniform shirt is royal blue. So are the shirts the employees of the grocery store across the street. I've learned to change into a regular shirt before going there. Sucktomers of the grocery store will zero in on the two inches of blue showing under my coat and ignore my cart, wheelie, and everything else. I'm not (or at least trying not to be) a disrespectful or hateful person so I can't tell them off without feeling really bad about it. I have to stick to a simple "I'm sorry I don't work here." Darn ethics.
                        "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Quoth Marmalady View Post
                          Oh yes. The best one so far was when I was cleaning the front of store window ledges (which involves hauling all the shopping carts out of the way, a few lines at a time, then replacing them after cleaning the ledges) There I am doing this, full uniform of course, elbows deep in the task and I hear 'Do you work here?'

Seriously, missus. Who the heck do you think would do this for fun?
                          Were you wearing the store uniform? Some companies do hire outside firms to do that kind of work.
                          "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Working...
                          X