This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Right There

Where I work at we have a deli and people used to have to order their hoagies Subway-style until 6 years ago when all our stores started using touch screens to place their orders. It's less time-consuming and easier for us to make hoagies more efficiently. We have a total of 4 screens customers can use and they usually have a colorful promotional thing on them so it's kind of hard to miss them.

The problem I have is when people walk to the deli, completely ignore the screens and ask me "So how do I order...do I just tell you what I want?" wherein I have to say "You can use the screen, it's easier" and I get a glare in return but I'm actually allowed to say that so there.

Sometimes people don't even ask that, they'll just start making demands for their hoagies. These people vary in age and they're not necessarily SC's, just dumb asses. We point at the screen below ad nauseam and most of the time they're like "Oh! That's pretty nifty."

Indeed it is...

I would personally be confused by this process at first only because I've never been to a restaurant that does this. I think it sounds like a cool idea myself, but I for one would probably walk up to you and try to order and ignore the screens unless it is painfully clear that I am supposed to order using the screens

Comment

At some of the McD's (and also at some Quick's, their main competitor), they have touch-screens with a card reader and PIN-pad for you to use if you're in a hurry or you don't want to deal with the cashiers. They also have a special line for those who use those screens.

Last Sunday, I went to one of those McD's and, lo-and-behold, all 5 registers are packed, with no quite distinct line (it was like 2pm - 2:30pm, so not really a surprise, is it ?). The Screen Orders Only line, though ? Empty.

So I went to the screens, ordered my meal, went to the counter and had my meal in no time. I walked out of the place before some of the people who were in previous to me entering had a chance to even order their food.
      "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Quoth Samaliel View Post
        So I went to the screens, ordered my meal, went to the counter and had my meal in no time. I walked out of the place before some of the people who were in previous to me entering had a chance to even order their food.
        I bet they were all giving you a very pissed off WTF look too?

I'd probably go up to the counter and try to order at first too. I've never seen a place that does that either, but like Chanlin said, it's a neat idea once you know about it.

I can totally understand where you're coming from though, it must grate on you so much to have to say that 3982594y345398457 times a day.
        Pit bull-

There is no breed of dog more in need of our compassion; in need of our call to arms on their behalf; and in need of what should be the full force of our enduring sanctuary.

Comment

I think most of them didn't even notice. There are 3 or 4 of those screens, with a rather large sign over each, stating "Save some time ! Order your food here !", and then a HUGE sign over the section of the counter dedicated to the Screen Orders line, which is about 1.5m wide. You would think they would notice the large, empty spot on the counter.

But then, I can think of a few reasons of not using those screens, besides never having noticed them. Some people might have had some bad previous experience with those, some might think that those "steal real people's job", some might not have their credit card with them, some might be afraid they wouldn't know how to use those.

As for bad experience, for example, those screens are supposed to print out a receipt when you complete your purchase, with a recap of your order and your order #, just in case. That particular day, I didn't get a receipt. Fom what we know, some people would ask their whole meal comped just for that.
          "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

In some cases, like at convenience stores, I love the touch screen things. It's so fast and easy to order what I want.

Other places, like the food store. Yea, I hate self- check out. I much prefer to deal with a person. And my Dad is one of those people that would think the machines are stealing people's jobs and probably not use them if a cashier was available. (I mean as long as the option of a cashier taking his order was available)
            I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

Quoth DesignFox View Post
              In some cases, like at convenience stores, I love the touch screen things. It's so fast and easy to order what I want.

Other places, like the food store. Yea, I hate self- check out. I much prefer to deal with a person. And my Dad is one of those people that would think the machines are stealing people's jobs and probably not use them if a cashier was available. (I mean as long as the option of a cashier taking his order was available)
              They touch screens at WaWa...they are GOD

Comment

That would be so cool to have those screens at, oh, hell, all of the fast food places!

Quoth DesignFox View Post
                Yea, I hate self- check out. I much prefer to deal with a person.
                And I prefer the self-check! The ones at the Wally World near me are right next to the express lanes. I don't know how many times there's lines out the wazoo at the express and nobody using the self-checks. So I'm checked out and on my way out while they're still standing in line....and usually being pissed about having to wait!
                It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                  <snip> they're still standing in line....and usually being pissed about having to wait!
                  I don't get pissed about having to wait, though.

If I really really don't want to wait, and I only have one item, I have used the self-checks at Wal-mart before...I just find that they are pretty unreliable in most places I've gone to. Especially at the food store!

And to some extent, I do think they take jobs from the cashiers.
                  I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

Working...
                  X