Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My only name problem is whenever people say "actually" I tend to hear "Ashley". Well, that and the fact that I have one of the most common names for my age group.
    "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
    Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Quoth Listerfiend View Post
      I have a professor who's getting up there in years (68), and she's always called me "Kim." It's to the point that whenever she says "Kim" I know she's talking about me; it often leaves my classmates dumbfounded, as there's never a Kim around. For the record--my name is Allison. Which doesn't exactly rhyme with "Kim."
      Ooh - I have your name (but I'll take good care of it, honest).

I have a colleague who is convinced my name is Allison, when (obviously) it is not.

Maybe somewhere out there a Victoria is being called Kim and we can all get together and swap back

Victoria J

Comment

Quoth customersruinmylife View Post

SC: I don't know Richard. What's the world coming to?
        Me: ....
        SC: I'm sorry, may I call you Richard?
        Me: Well, it's not my name.
        SC: What is your name?
        Me: Customersruinmylife.
        SC: ...
        Me: ...
        SC: I prefer Richard.

So now, he calls me Richard EVERY TIME he comes into the bar. I keep correcting him, but the response I get is "Sorry Richard, I'll remember next time."
        Well, considering that the sole reason the old git wants any contact with you at all is so he can feel like a big man when he disrespects you, you shouldn't have any more contact with him than you absolutly have to. The term "freezing him out" comes to mind.

Completely ignore him. Stop correcting him, he knows your name. All you are doing by correcting him is getting him off. Just don't answer him or even look up when he calls you anything but your name. He can prefer Richard all he wants as long as he prefers to not speak to you.

I'd also treat him as though I thought I he was mentally handicapped on the occasions that I couldn't avoid him, too.

What a loser.

My married name is very easy to pronounce, and not in any way strange or unusual. Still, there are plenty of dumbasses who manage to call me by the entirely wrong name sometimes repeatedly. I will correct them...once. If they continue to call me by the wrong name after that, the situation becomes very Uncomfortable for them.

Comment

Quoth Victoria J View Post
          Maybe somewhere out there a Victoria is being called Kim and we can all get together and swap back
          Not this one. I get Virginia occasionally and Veronica a lot.

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
          Just don't answer him or even look up when he calls you anything but your name.
          That's exactly what I do. Some people get so mad when you don't respond to a name that's not yours....

Sheeze....other people's children!
          It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Victoria J View Post
            Wouldn't that be a Kim being called Victoria?
            ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
            And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
              Wouldn't that be a Kim being called Victoria?
              Argghh. Yes, it would. That's my own brain burp I think.

Victoria J

Comment

I was sitting in a doctor's office waiting room and the nurse kept getting my last name wrong. She kept calling me by the different name I mentioned in my other post.

Now, I had corrected this little fool at least three times. I dont' know what her problem was, but at some point, I got to think either you are deliberately insulting me or you are simply unteachably stupid. Maybe both. My knee was ballsed up and I was limping and not in a great mood to start with. It might behoove the nurse to not continue to provoke me.

So, I'm sitting there reading the paper and she comes to tell me the doc's ready to see me and damned if she doesn't call me by the wrong name. She stood by the door saying the wrong name expectantly.

I didn't move. I didn't even look up from paper, glance up, or anything. It was like she wasn't even there. The only other person in the room was a young man. He wasn't a Mrs. Anything, clearly. I could see him looking at me out of the corner of my eye, confused.

Clearly, the nurse was talking to me. I didn't budge. She said it again. I turned the page and kept reading. She said it again, louder. I didn't move. Long, uncomfortable pause.

Then she said it right, and you would have thought dogs were stringing her guts out. How the fuck hard was that? Why make that ridiculous scene? So then I immediately dropped my paper down to my lap and said "Yes?" all innocently.

Bitch didn't cross me again after that. Stupid little twit.

Comment

I got to think either you are deliberately insulting me or you are simply unteachably stupid. Maybe both.

This made me . May I file it away for a future sig line?
                  "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

I dont' know what her problem was, but at some point, I got to think either you are deliberately insulting me or you are simply unteachably stupid. Maybe both.
                    I'm voting for deliberately insulting you. That's just frickin' rude! And how you chose to finally get her corrected was just fabulous! Brava, madame, brava!

Comment

My name is Colette (only ONE L, the French spelling). You wouldn't believe the variations of spellings and names I have had.

Here is a small selection - Colet, Collette (the most common), Olet, Colleen, Claire (for some reason whenever I say my name people think it's Claire), Colret, Courgette (WTF) and Jenny but that is the name of my twin
                      As soon as I start thinking
                      That I'm sensible and sane
                      The Random Hedgehog comes along
                      And fiddles with my Brain
                      (from card I got)

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
                        This made me . May I file it away for a future sig line?

Of course, I would be flattered.

What killed me about the whole stupid affair was that obviously, she KNEW what my name was, you know? Just useless.
                        Last edited by RecoveringKinkoid; 07-27-2008, 01:25 AM.

Comment

One of our regular "I turn in my games for cash so I can keep my meth lab up" customers always calls my coworker Tony (real name Tommy).

Considering I hate the guy, I find it freakin' hilarious.
                          Would you like a Stummies?

Comment

*snip*
                            Then she said it right, and you would have thought dogs were stringing her guts out. How the fuck hard was that? Why make that ridiculous scene? So then I immediately dropped my paper down to my lap and said "Yes?" all innocently.

Bitch didn't cross me again after that. Stupid little twit.
                            LOVED IT!
                            Had me bwahaha-ing for many a moment
                            "If you find yourself fantasizing about throwing actual users into a blender, please get help... they're heavy." - Tom Dickson

Comment

Quoth Lady Legira View Post
                              Courgette (WTF)
                              That on in particular is making me ....especially since we call them "zucchinis"! Excuse me, I need to wipe my tears....

Comment

Working...
                              X