This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth JustADude View Post
    I saw that as something slightly, but significantly, different when I read that the first time.

Yes, my mind is in the gutter.
    Trust me, you weren't the only one.
    My Fur Affinity Page:https://www.furaffinity.net/user/thetigress/
    My Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/profile/thetigress

Comment

Quoth SorryIsGoodEnough View Post
      I had my stuff by the computer. She had to reach OVER the really high counter.
      So when you said "Excuse me ma'am - those are my personal belongings, could I have them back please?" what did she do?

Comment

I have this stare that I give people that makes them feel either retarded or guilty.

I unleashed it on the woman, and she put it down and walked away. I then took the cookies away from the counter so she and her party couldn't have any.

I put them back when they left.

Comment

Quoth MoxisPilot View Post
          Why were you doing homework at work? I'm just asking - not saying you're in the wrong or anything, but I've never been allowed to bring "personal entertainment" on the job. (As if homework is somehow entertaining, right?)
          It all depends - my work is a small, family-run business and we're allowed to do pretty much whatever we want as long as the work gets done. I stand around reading stuff from http://booksinmyphone.com/ when it's quiet. One of my co-workers is also a freelance translator, he just spent 3 months of night shifts translating a book. Our boss knows about it and doesn't care as long as the stuff he's paying us to do gets done.

Comment

I then took the cookies away from the counter so she and her party couldn't have any.

How evil.

Becks Seal of Approval©.
            Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I must say I see a slight difference here:

A book of crossword puzzles left unattended is often meant as a "gift" to someone else. People often walk away from a half cup of coffee with no intention of returning, and pens are, again, often left with every intention of relinquishing all claims of ownership.

Something like that, left unattended in a public area, is easily mistaken for having been intentionally abandoned.

Anything you have to reach over the Front Desk to get is clearly not yours, and if it were meant to be avilable to the public it would be.
              If it had been left on one of those little end tables in a public seating area, it would not be rude to pick it up and start reading it. But intruding (even if it is just your arm that does so) into an area that is clearly meant for employees only is out of line, and deserves a stern rebuke.

Something along the lines of, "EXCUSE ME," (as you take back the book) "Can I help you with something?"
              Even if you are busy with someone else. Politely ask them to excuse you, then turn up the volume for the lady.

Comment

What if, say, a jacket is left hanging over the chair at the table with said crossword on it? That would indicate that someone is coming back, yes? Which should then cancel out the "free gift" the crossword puzzle is supposed to be.
                The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

I have this stare that I give people that makes them feel either retarded or guilty.

I unleashed it on the woman, and she put it down and walked away. I then took the cookies away from the counter so she and her party couldn't have any.

hmm, small hotel with cookies in the evening for guests... and a pool and breakfast(?)... I think we may work for the same chain... by chance are you using Softhotel on your computers (worst PMS ever... Property Management System for those of you in the gutter).
                  If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth MoxisPilot View Post
                    Why were you doing homework at work? I'm just asking - not saying you're in the wrong or anything, but I've never been allowed to bring "personal entertainment" on the job. (As if homework is somehow entertaining, right?)
                    A lot of places that are in cities and towns with colleges and universities are pretty cool about that kind of thing. I was working on my presentation in the Pres Hospital in-patient pharmacy the other night. That was kind of weird though, to be that slow in a hospital pharmacy....until 9pm and then everybody in the bleeding hospital decided they had to order meds right that very damn moment.
                    It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                      A lot of places that are in cities and towns with colleges and universities are pretty cool about that kind of thing.
                      I worked in my college's little fast food-type place when I was in school. If we weren't busy and we were caught up on prep work and were reasonably clean, we would do homework. The manager didn't care as long as we paid attention to any customers, and since it was a tiny place, you couldn't miss them coming in.

Oh, and taking the cookies away is so something I would do, too.
                      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                      X