Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The sun is a mass of burning wood, apparently.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The sun is a mass of burning wood, apparently.

"isnt a fire just like a mini sun?"

No.

No it's not.

This was during a discussion of how to use sunlight to bleach stains. This girl thought that she could do the same thing by putting her stained items under heat lamps or in front of a fire. And even after quite a lot of explaining she doesn't seem to grasp that it's not the heat of sunlight that bleaches things, it's the LIGHT part!

As this was on the internet I don't know the age of the person here, but I really pray she's very young. Or dropped out of school. Or something. Because I would just cry if this was somebody my age with any kind of education at all.

But even discounting education, HOW does anybody not notice that sunlight is thousands or even millions of times brighter than firelight? HOW?!!!!! You can turn on a regular house lamp and your fire no longer looks bright at all, and then you go from the house lights out into sunshine and it's blindingly bright by comparison!

*cough*

Yeah, this comment really bugged me. GAH. STUPID PEOPLE.
    The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Nobody can give you wiser advice than yourself. ~Cicero

See the fuzzy - http://bladespark.livejournal.com/

Didn't you know?

The basic chemical reaction that causes wood to burn, is the same thing as nuclear fusion
    <Insert clever signature here>

Comment

The sun is a mass of incandescent gas...
      "I call murder on that!"

Comment

yeah...not the same. A giant ball of gas compared to burning wood. Big difference.

Comment

If the light from a lamp was as intense as sunlight you'd be vaporized in an instant by just standing next to it. Basic nuclear reactions baby...lol.

Comment

Quoth Lingering Grin View Post
            Didn't you know?

The basic chemical reaction that causes wood to burn, is the same thing as nuclear fusion

Not quite. 2 different ignition sources.

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
              Not quite. 2 different ignition sources.
              Hear that loud *WOOSH* sound? That's sarcasm going over your head
              <Insert clever signature here>

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                The sun is a mass of incandescent gas...
                ... a gigantic nuclear furnace!

They Might be Giants, for the win!
                "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

Where hydrogen is turned into heeeelium at a temperature of millions of degrees!

Comment

Quoth Lingering Grin View Post
                    Hear that loud *WOOSH* sound? That's sarcasm going over your head

Gotcha....lol.

Comment

Okay, now I officially weep for humanity. I responded to the above comment with a grade-school leve explanation of the differences between firelight and sunlight, and how the bleaching effect of sunlight has nothing to do with heat, and so on.

Her response?

"oh im studying engineering, i should have known that lol, but its been a few years since we learned about light."

Last edited by spark; 06-03-2009, 11:16 AM.
                      The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Nobody can give you wiser advice than yourself. ~Cicero

See the fuzzy - http://bladespark.livejournal.com/

Comment

The sun is hot, the sun is not a place where we could live.
                        But here on earth there'd be no life without the light it gives.

Comment

wood make little fire...sun make BIG fire....BIG fire does better job....

^ in case she missed first grade...

let's hope she doesn't go to a hardware store looking for a ladder big enough to reach the sun...

Comment

Quoth Mike Taylor View Post
                            They Might be Giants, for the win!
                            Thanks for telling me where the hell I got that line... it's been floating around in my head most of my life, I want to say I heard it on... Tiny Toons...? And had no other source for it.
                            "I call murder on that!"

Comment

We need its light
                              We need its heat
                              We need its energy
                              Without the sun, without a doubt
                              There'd be no you and me

Quoth Juwl View Post
                              Thanks for telling me where the hell I got that line... it's been floating around in my head most of my life, I want to say I heard it on... Tiny Toons...? And had no other source for it.
                              My first exposure to They Might Be Giants was Tiny Toons

Comment

Working...
                              X