This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth EricKei View Post
    It's my understanding that the situation is reversed in Europe (Pepsi > Coke there). (a) can anyone confirm this, and (b)am I correct in assuming that it may be due, in part, to the tendency to NOT add ice cubes to drinks there; i.e., they drink them warm? Room-temperature Coke is rather nasty. Room-temp Pepsi is at least tolerable.
    To start, I'm a Brit from the South-East of England, so I can only really comment on my general area - I don't have enough experience of Scotland, Wales or Ireland to speak for them.

It's not so much that Pepsi is preferred, it's just that Coke appeared at about the same time as other 'copies' over here, so it never had the grip on the market that Coke has in America. Yes, there are people who prefer one brand or another (I prefer Pepsi myself - not as fizzy or sour as Coke tends to be) but most people will take whatever's on offer.

As to the ice-cube debate - it depends on how pub-savvy you are! You pay per glass filled to the top, & some establishments cut costs by filling your glass with ice then filling in the gaps with coke, so you end up with barely more than a double shot glass of coke. To get the full measure of what you paid for, you have to ask for no ice or get really specific about how much ice is put into your glass (which is hard in a crowded, noisy pub/bar). It's still cold from the tap/bottle, just not ice-cold.
    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
      I just can't drink Mexican Coke at all....it's too sweet.
      I would actually like to try it; it's my understanding that it has actual SUGAR in it instead of that High Fructose Corn Syrup garbage. Allegedly, the primary distinction between "Coke Classic" (aka modern Coke) and actual pre-"New Coke" Coke is that the current stuff has HFCS and the original had sugar. They are supposed to be identical in other respects. I know there are some Mexican groceries around here, I gotta at least TRY it sometime ^_^

Just as a side note while we're talking about "sugar substitutes that may or may not be worse for you than actual sugar"...I can't say I care for Splenda, either. It's basically dextrose (close relative of sucrose/table sugar) that has has chlorine merged with it. Apparently "safe" for you, tho...
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
        Allegedly, the primary distinction between "Coke Classic" (aka modern Coke) and actual pre-"New Coke" Coke is that the current stuff has HFCS and the original had sugar.
        That and the cocaine.
        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
          I would actually like to try it; it's my understanding that it has actual SUGAR in it instead of that High Fructose Corn Syrup garbage.
          Except that HFCS is sweeter than white sugar. I think it's because they use cane sugar instead.

Quoth EricKei View Post
          Just as a side note while we're talking about "sugar substitutes that may or may not be worse for you than actual sugar"...
          If you can, get yourself a stevia plant. Dry and grind the leaves. They are way sweeter than plain sugar. I'm not sure what else all is in it, but Truvia uses stevia. I had a plant last summer, but it didn't survive the winter and I'm still experimenting with the powder that I've got.

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
          That and the cocaine.
          Oh yeah! I had completely forgotten about that.

Now I want some Coke....
          It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post

Now I want some Coke....
            err... that's what she said?
            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
              I'm still experimenting with the powder that I've got.
              Quoth Broomjockey
              That and the cocaine.
              Quoth Pagan View Post

Now I want some Coke....

Put all that together......

B
              "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
              I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                That and the cocaine.
                Heh. OK OK, maybe not ORIGINAL original Coke ^_^

Pagan - I'd not heard of it, I'll check it out. I normally use Sugar in the Raw (turbinado sugar) at home. I find that it's not as sweet as the white stuff, but it does the job. As for (non-processed) cane sugar, if I'm desperate enough, I can just drive out to the boonies and pick some canes of it myself
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                X