This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Nice To Be Independent

Don't really know if this is a Brain Burp, per say, but it's not really sucky

Often enough a customer will come in, I'll smile at them and say Hi from behind the counter, and they ignore me... oh well, it happens. Then I watch them as they wander around the store aimlessly, reading the signs on the shelves (btw our store is pretty big, like 4,000 square feet or something). Eventually they come back all frustrated and say something like "I give up! Where is the <section>?" Like we're playing some sort of game. Just ask me your question right away! That is pretty much why I am here. Also to take your money.

It's nice to wander around a bookstore but if you're looking for something specific in any store, it's always easier to just ask an employee right? Especially when there is one right in front of you waiting to help. No need to get upset about it
    !
    "For truth is always strange; stranger than fiction." -- Lord Byron

Actually, I tend to find my own way around large stores rather than asking. Only if I need something quickly and it isn't obvious, or if I've looked thoroughly and can't find it, will I ask.

Once I did that in a chain computer shop (which usually have bad reputations in Britain) and was pleasantly surprised when the assistant immediately knew that he *didn't* have what I was looking for, but could suggest somewhere that did.

Comment

Yeah, of course, when I ask where something is, half of the time, it's obviously right under my nose.
      Not so much of a Brain Burp, but more of an Optical Failure. I will usually jokingly state that it's time for me to get another appointment with the optometrist or to purchase some new eyes, along with a bashful apology.
      "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

If I am going to look around the store I tend to do it before I get what I need.
        So I will usually look like I am lost for a good while before I ask where to find something.

Comment

I hate asking for help in bookstores. Partly because I'm afraid the clerk will not share my taste in literature and will think I'm shallow or something, but mostly because the question is "I'm trying to see if there are any more books available by the same author of the book I just read. But I can't remember the author's name. Or the name of the book. I think it was Something Fire of the Something Something or something. It had werewolves in it. And the main character's name was Mariah or Missy or Marjorie or ... no wait! The main character's name was Beulah. Yeah."

I'm not ignoring you, I'm just trying not to embarrass myself.
          Women can do anything men can.
          But we don't because lots of it's disgusting.
          Maxine

Comment

Quoth Sparky View Post
            I hate asking for help in bookstores. Partly because I'm afraid the clerk will not share my taste in literature and will think I'm shallow or something,
            Nothing you can read will surprise me I just finished the Twilight series myself and I'm 24. Yes I said that proudly!!

But really, I don't have a problem with people looking around or even ignoring me (well ignoring me is kind of annoying..) But I just hate when people get MAD at me because they couldn't find something by themselves. I would be so happy to help them find what they want rather than have them get mad or frustrated.
            !

Comment

Quoth Sparky View Post
              Partly because I'm afraid the clerk will not share my taste in literature and will think I'm shallow or something, ...
              If they're going to think you're shallow or something for wanting to buy a book they sell, what does it say about them for selling it?
              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                If they're going to think you're shallow or something for wanting to buy a book they sell, what does it say about them for selling it?
                QFT Plus any reading is better than no reading at all. If you choose to read a book over watching a rerun of Family Guy you've seen ten times then I'd say you're pretty darn smart! Doesn't matter about what you're reading

Sorry about the
                !

Comment

Quoth Mnemjian View Post
                  watching a rerun of Family Guy you've seen ten times
                  I do love me some Family Guy, but damn...that would make their "jokes that get repeated ad nauseum" even harder to tolerate. Now I've got an image of Peter singing The Bird stuck in my head.

Thanks. Thanks a LOT

B-B-B-Bird bird bird, bird is the word...

Last edited by EricKei; 09-06-2009, 03:15 AM.
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I generally try to find stuff on my own, first, but if I can't I don't get all huffy at the people who are there to help me. I don't even mention that I was unsuccessful in finding it, I just ask "Where can I find X?" Life is more pleasant that way, I find. (I have enough stress otherwise without bringing it on myself while shopping.) And it's not their fault I didn't ask in the first place. Unless I just want to get in and out, I'll usually wander a bit in most stores.

Quoth Sparky View Post
                    I hate asking for help in bookstores. Partly because I'm afraid the clerk will not share my taste in literature and will think I'm shallow or something, but mostly because the question is "I'm trying to see if there are any more books available by the same author of the book I just read. But I can't remember the author's name. Or the name of the book. I think it was Something Fire of the Something Something or something. It had werewolves in it. And the main character's name was Mariah or Missy or Marjorie or ... no wait! The main character's name was Beulah. Yeah."

As much as we complain about "those" customers, a lot of us actually like the challenge . (I've even been successful in the "it's blue" category...) And you'll generally find a wide range of interests among the employees, so you never know what someone might know. And if the person you ask doesn't know, they'll likely know who else in the store might know. You know?

As long as you don't yell at us when we can't figure out your vague descriptors, we're good.
                    Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 09-05-2009, 05:48 PM. Reason: afterthoughts
                    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                    X