This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kinda slow, aren't ya?

I work at a grocery store as a cashier. I'm relatively new (about 3 weeks) and I admit I'm still a little slow in some situations, much to the horror of my impatient coworkers. However, some customers make me want to hit my head against the nearest hard surface.

A man came in the other night and remarked that I was "having a slow day, eh?" I smiled, unruffled, and said "yeah, I'm new." (Have to try to be polite, you know?)

Well, when the time came to pay, the bill was $5.35. He gave me $4.00. I said "sir, I need $1.35 more." He gave me a blank stare, so I repeated, "I still need $1.35." He said "Oh!" and dug around in his pocket, coming up with.....$.25. I told him I still needed more and he sighed and ran out to his car while other customers in line behind him became irritated.

When he came back, he brought only a dime. I was like "Ok, sir, one more dollar." And he ran out to his car again and brought back $.77. At this point he seemed to realize something, and voila, out came $10 from his pocket.

This is why we should get paid more, because by this time all the other customers in my line were angry, and of course they took it out on me.

He probably figured, because you were new, that you wouldn't notice, or that you would just let it go.

What a doofus!!
    Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

I'd say that the customer was the slow one here...

Welcome to Customers Suck!
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

It's all the more irritating when you know you're not at full speed - for whatever reason: still being in training, being ill, having had a bad night, etc. - and the person with whom you have to interact is even slower on the uptake.
        "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Working...
        X