This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chinglish names???

Well now, not quite sure where this one should go...

I teach English at a Chinese university.

Naturally, some of the students want an 'English' name (which can also be good to keep them mentally thinking English).

Of course, what they think is an English name, and what we do is not always the same....

In my classes, I have a Fairy, a Fantasy, Sweety, Asea (she said she likes the sea, so didn't pick any sea, just A sea - and that's how it's pronounced), Eternal, one girl is now Arwen (well, ok, I chose that one for her ), and Spring.. which probably doesn't sound too bad... except he's a guy!

My co-workers have: Unique, Apple, Cotton, and a few others which I don't immediately recall... (I thought there was one called 'Absent', but that was just mishearing a co-worker )

Ok, sure, not as good as Number 29 Bus stop, but hey.....
    When I said "From my research", what I actually meant to say was "Made shit up" - from a thottbot thread

I went to an international high school, so my classmates were called Apple, Tomato and Silver. My mum once taught a girl who went by Pudding.
    God made me a cannibal to fix problems like you. - Angelspit, '100%'

I'm sorry, I'm not authorised to give a f**k.

Comment

From high school I remember superman and sonic

Comment

Oh, that was one.. Superman.. cos that's how the name was translated! one of my co-workers has a Superman...
        When I said "From my research", what I actually meant to say was "Made shit up" - from a thottbot thread

Comment

Quoth Zombi View Post
          I went to an international high school, so my classmates were called Apple, Tomato and Silver. My mum once taught a girl who went by Pudding.
          Sounds like an episode of Tokyo Mew Mew. (all the characters are named after fruits and vegetables in Japanese.)
          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

i went to school with a girl named Asia. there was a Cambria...i have a cousin named Guy...
            didn't Gwenith Paltrow name her kid Apple?
            If you want to be happy, be. ~Leo Tolstoy

i'm on fb and xbox live; pm me if ya wanna be "friends"
            ^_^

Comment

And if memory serves, Nicolas Cage named his son Kal-El...on the other hand, I remember a news story a while back that involved a kid named after Adolf Hitler. Myself, I'd rather be proud to have been named after Superman than be wondering what possessed my parents to name me after the 20th century's premiere fiend.

I've already decided if and when I settle down and start a family, I'll name my son after my brothers, a daughter would have my mother's name in there somewhere...I'll save the creative names for the cats.

We have to love the wee ones.
              Friends help you move. Rare friends help you move bodies.

Comment

I would have made a comment about Spring as a guy's name, had I not done some research beforehand.

Apparently, some people in charge of the translation of the Airwolf series decided that "Springfeller", sometimes shortened to "Spring", sounded better in French than the original "Stringfellow"...
                "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

I also had an Asia at my high school. Also, there was an Australia at my college, TWO people named Candy, and one of my best friends is named Miracle.

I guess my name can almost go on here. It's Katt. Yes, lots of people try and spell it Cat. I hate those people.
                  Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

My favourite lost in translation name is from a girl I went to school with : Sultana.

To people from her culture : princess (a feminine form of sultan)

To people from my culture : a small dried fruit like a raisin.

Victoria J

Comment

From what I have seen, the Chinese students at my high school or work usually gave themselves phonetic names, rather than what their name means.

So Li Ang=Leon Li.
                      Chen Si=Sophie Chen (eh...close enough)

Still, at least they're not called Sex Fruit.
                      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart17 View Post
                        Sounds like an episode of Tokyo Mew Mew. (all the characters are named after fruits and vegetables in Japanese.)
                        Dragon Ball/DBZ does this too. Most of the big tough dudes are named after Japanese "pun" versions of English food names (rice/Gohan, broccoli/Brolly, radish/Raditz), and most of the other "Named" characters are puns as well (bloomers/Bulma).

Toriyama is notorious for using this naming scheme, even in his other creations. He has a comic called Dr. Slump, where a main character's name literally translates as "seaweed-wrapped rice cracker" >_<

Been a long time since I actually watched that nonsense, tho >_>
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Oh my gosh I love it

But Fairy, Fantasy, and Sweety sound like a trio of stripper names.

Comment

Quoth Green_Fairy View Post
                            ...i have a cousin named Guy...
                            Actually, Guy is a nickname for William. I have a step-uncle named William, but I've only ever heard him called "Willie" or "Guy".

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
                            I guess my name can almost go on here. It's Katt. Yes, lots of people try and spell it Cat. I hate those people.
                            Whenever I see the name "Katt", no matter how it's spelled, I, for some reason, always think of Cat Howard.
                            It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Green_Fairy View Post
                              ...i have a cousin named Guy...
                              Quoth Pagan View Post
                              Actually, Guy is a nickname for William. I have a step-uncle named William, but I've only ever heard him called "Willie" or "Guy".:
                              Are you sure it's not just his nickname? I've never heard of "Guy" being a nickname for "William" in general, but it is a given name.

Actually, it's on my list of thing I might name my children.
                              The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Working...
                              X