X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got milk?

Hi everyone,

Long time reader, first time poster, so please, be gentle.

Background: I used to work for a large retailer, Stores of Dunce in south Dublin, at the time mainly handling frozen foods and dairy (yes, I was a freezer geezer).

Anyways, I was packing up our milk cooler with our own brand milk, as you sometimes do when a ditsy old lady (DOL) comes up to me.

Exchange went like this:
    DOL: Where does the milk come from (gesturing to the own brand milk)
    Me (thinking): Did she just ask where the MILK comes from? Better tell her something, but should I give her the smart answer or the one that will not get me in trouble?
    Smart answer (very true, but unused): Cows... I hope!
    Safe answer (I did use this one): I'm sorry, I don't know.

She seemed to be the kind of person who would not see the joke in the smart answer.

I relayed this to my manager afterwards and was told that the right answer is Limerick, apparently.

Oh how I would have loved to have gotten that customer after becoming cynical and wanting to leave the job, but I was young and too careful methinks.

C.
    Nothing in this world will ever be truly idiot-proof as long as they keep making more effective idiots... -EricKei

Well you have to wonder... In America it doesn't actually say what animal milk comes from, unless it's not cow milk (i.e. goat milk). I don't recall ever seeing a regular milk package reading "2% cow milk" or anything. Maybe the lady really wanted to know if it came from a cow or not?

P.S. to
    !
    "For truth is always strange; stranger than fiction." -- Lord Byron

Comment

maybe she meant where the dairy was...?
      If you want to be happy, be. ~Leo Tolstoy

i'm on fb and xbox live; pm me if ya wanna be "friends"
      ^_^

Comment

My guess would be that she wanted to know whether the milk came from local cows or cows in Canada or Argentina or someplace.
        Women can do anything men can.
        But we don't because lots of it's disgusting.
        Maxine

Comment

Yeah, it was probably a case of where (dairy) does the milk come from, but when I first heard it I did have to think what exactly she meant. This milk was (and still is) cheap, so it may have been non cow.

And thank you for the welcomes. I have some more stories to share when I get the chance.

C.
          Nothing in this world will ever be truly idiot-proof as long as they keep making more effective idiots... -EricKei

Comment

Working...
          X