This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Day Sam's Club Stood Still

This doesn't suck, nor is there anyone doing anything stupid. It was just...I dunno. Weird and amusing.

You know how when you go into a place, sometimes there are a few other customers that sort of follow your pattern and they kind of are around you most of the time you're in a store? One of them was an older dude shopping alone who had this weird little habit of whistling to himself.

Not just any tune, either. He sounded exactly like a theremin playing some eerie, circa 1950 style sci fi background music. In fact, first time I heard it, that's what I thought I was hearing. So I started calling him "Mister Theremin" in my head.

I was in there for about an hour and a half, and he did it the entire time.

So the "sci fi" backdrop kind of put a fun spin on an otherwise pretty boring shopping trip.

This site is really educational...I had no idea what a theremin is, so I looked it up.

Wonder what tune he was whistling?
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I don't think it was a tune, it was just some kind of weird sliding scale.

You know that "Twilight Zone" thing people hum when they hear or see something weird? It was like that.

I would not know what a theremin was either, except that a friend of mine is a score writer who happens to be a little obsessed with theremins. I used to wonder what made that weird sound you hear in soundtracks.

Comment

Maybe his life was just so weird he felt it needed an appropriate soundtrack.

I know the feeling.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I know what sound you're talking about. Beach Boys used theremins.
          Anyway, if you whistle and hum simultaneously, you make that sound.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post

I know the feeling.
            HAAA! Really!

Comment

I didn't know my FIL went shooping at Sam's today!! The man whistles all day everyday everywhere he goes.

Comment

I think I'm physically not able to whistle. most of my family members have tried to show me at one point or another, it never worked.
                Long days, short nights, a bottle of NOS makes it all right.

Canadians Unite !

Comment

Quoth FenigDurak View Post
                  ... Beach Boys used theremins.
                  For good vibrations.

I remember the arguement our gang had when that song came out... "How the hell did they get THAT sound?"

Our concensus was Vise-Grips, strategically applied.
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Seeing as how this is in the Brain Burp area...

When I read the OP, not knowing what a theremin is, I assumed the OP meant Thermian, the aliens in Galaxy Quest.

I just read this on the Wikipedia page about Qalaxy Quest.

The name "Thermians" was probably not a reference to Vulcans. In the screenplay, the alien planet was originally called "Theramin" instead of "Thermia," an homage to early sci-fi's use of the theremin to make eerie noises, as in Forbidden Planet.
                    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth taurinejunkie View Post
                      I think I'm physically not able to whistle. most of my family members have tried to show me at one point or another, it never worked.
                      When I was younger, I couldn't, either. So I practiced my "eerie wind" noise, which is really just a very breathy sort of whistle, and then kept adjusting the way I pursed my lips until I was getting an actual whistle.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

And I seem to be very strange. Can't whistle normal. I suck breathe in and can whistle that way. Works really well when you are trying to call the horses for dinner
                        Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

That sounds kinda fun. My job doesn't require much thought, so I'm always mentally trying to defend the store from zombie attack in the most efficient way possible - having a customer follow me making theremin noises would make it that much more awesome...
                          "Only in our dreams are we free. The rest of the time we need wages." - Terry Pratchett
                          Emissary of Minong - my blog and its Facebook page

Comment

And "Klaatu barada nikto" to you, too!

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post

I know the feeling.
                              I wish I had a theme song!
                              "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Working...
                              X