This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just a couple moments in time

working in the deli...had a few throw me for a loop this week...

CW waiting on late-middle aged lady, I'm eavesdropping. She asks: "What's up with the cole slaw? It looks like it's all shredded, all..in..pieces!"
    (for the record, cole slaw is shredded cabbage, carrots, and a mayo-type dressing of some sort)

This guy was a minor sc, until his brain burp released him of his suckitude...
    "I need a half pound of bologna, half pound of American cheese,and a half pound of salami."
    Now, for the first two, I just assume the cheapest. But there are different [I]types[I] of salami, so I ask him which one he would like, "hard salami, genoa, or cooked salami".
    Guys answers : "I dont know! No one's ever asked me that before! I just want the kind that you put on a bologna sandwich!"
    I seriously almost :facepalm: in the guy's face, and I did catch myself saying "Salaaamiiii...?" very slowly, thinking he'd catch on. But nope. "Whatever kind you think is best," so whatever, he ended up with a half pound of genoa. I mean, what kind of salami do you put on a bologna sandwich?

...and possibly it's just a personal pet peeve, but it's something I've noticed a lot of lately...people will order "between a quarter pound and half pound", so I will say "around a third then?" and they get pissy/flustery/annoyed and gimme the "whatever!"
    Really, a third is a legitimate amount to order, people do it all the time. and it is between a quarter and a half. Why do people get so offended by it? LOL

The last one I know the answer to! Pick me! Pick me! *jumps up and down with hand in the air*.

'Math is hard!'

Seriously, if you are asking people to do more then figure up 1+1...they act like it is the end of the world sometimes.
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth TattooedMommie View Post
      I mean, what kind of salami do you put on a bologna sandwich?
      Hard.

But then, I call it a hero or an itialian, or something else than just "bologna sandwich".

Comment

I'll take a pound of the hard salami, please.

Actually I like the Genoa, too.

I usually tell them what I want, half pound or whatever, and if I want a little more I'll say "a little over is fine." They'll throw on a few more pieces and we're done.

Re: the cole slaw-- some people chop the cabbage very fine, and some shred it in larger pieces. Maybe she's not familiar with the way your store does it.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

When I ask the deli for "a pound" of something, I'll watch the scale, and if they're within a quarter pound on either side, I'll say, "close enough," and be happy.
          Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth TattooedMommie
            ... people will order "between a quarter pound and half pound", so I will say "around a third then?" and they get pissy/flustery/annoyed and gimme the "whatever!"
            Really, a third is a legitimate amount to order, people do it all the time. and it is between a quarter and a half. Why do people get so offended by it? LOL
            Maybe it's because you get them with their pants down, as they aren't capable to do maths without a calculator...

I always get astonished when somebody cannot add 3.50 and 1.50 (or other sums equally as easy) without a calculator...

Comment

Working...
            X