This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Wasn't Clicking

I just answered a frantic phone call from a friend a moment ago I had to share. I'm not letting him live this one down for a while.

Him: Nash! You gotta help me! Pleasey weasy?
    Me: Well, all right. What is it?
    Him: I bought this wireless mouse a couple days ago and it just doesn't work. You're a geeky girl, can you fix it?
    Me: I'm flattered. All right, you'll have to do everything I tell you to do, ok?
    Him: Anything, I just want to get this to work, or I'm returning it.
    Me: Okay. Have you tried any of the other USB ports to see if it was just that one port?
    Him: *tries the other ports* Nothing. That didn't work.
    Me: Okay....did it come with an installation CD?
    Him: A what now?
    Me: A CD to install the drivers with, did it come with one?
    Him: Uh uh.
    Me: Did you try the batteries? Maybe you put some dead ones in by mistake.
    Him: *dead silence*
    Me: N? Still there?
    Him: Batteries?
    Me: ...You....did put batteries in it, right?
    Him: You're kidding me. Hang on. *odd clicking noises* Shit. Hang on. *more silence, then more odd clicking noises. Mouse starts clicking*Fffffff....
    Me: That was it, wasn't it?
    Him: ........Yeah. That was it.
    Me: Works now?
    Him: *sigh* yeah, it does.
    Me: *trying not to laugh*
    Him: Sonova.....*click*

Poor kid. What kills me is this is the guy that helped me clean my laptop of a vicious virus and is pretty tech savvy, and has taught me everything I know, but he was foiled by a mouse.

Hey sometimes we get so wrapped up in the big things, that the small things elude us. Had a friend who did everything but connect the tower to the monitor. Couldn't figure out for the life of them why nothing was showing up on said monitor.
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

He was probably panicking, and having someone talk him through it was the help. Also, yeah, 'small thing' like Myt said.
      "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
      "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

One of those times when your brain says:

"You don't love me any more. I'm leaving to play in traffic."
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
          One of those times when your brain says:

"You don't love me any more. I'm leaving to play in traffic."
          Rule 1 violation..you owe me a new keyboard lol.
          Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Happened to me a long time ago.

Was an Admin at a company, and were installing an update to a mail gateway. It didn't function so I called helpdesk.

After some 20-30 min of troubleshooting the guy asked me if I had rebooted the server...

Big silence from my part and the a burst of laughter mixed with crying from my part...

We both started to laugh at the situation as this obviously was the remedy...

Comment

When my Ex was putting together his PC, he very carefully set aside the cable to connect the power button so it wouldn't get tangled in anything else. He promptly forgot to connect it. It took him four hours to figure out why the computer wouldn't turn on, and was on the verge of returning the power supply when he remembered.
              The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Working...
              X