This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Take ONE or the OTHER but NOT BOTH!

I work as a receptionist for an academic department in a university. Our course listings for next semester have been put out, and as is the case every semester, there is a packet in yellow for our majors, which has all of our classes plus specific instructions on how to be cleared to register.

For our non-majors, we have a bare-bones information sheet with only the courses that outside people can take (basically only the stuff in the yellow packet that is applicable to them). This is printed on pink.

There are two signs that I placed directly on top of these piles. YELLOW IS FOR MAJORS ONLY. PINK IS FOR NON-MAJORS ONLY.

As is the case every semester, the students will read the signs, MOVE the signs, and proceed to take both, then put the signs back (most of them). Therefore, twice as many info packets need to be printed as would be necessary if college students would just follow directions.

You are either a major or a non-major; you can't be both at the same time!

Pretty sad that these people are actually signing up for higher education....yet can't read - or correctly interpret - simple instructions.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

((Please forgive me, this is a horrid pun.. the made me do it)) Wait, what if it is a Major from the armed forces who is looking for a Non-Major in college? ((Ok the rotten fruit can be thrown now).

Reading, they are doing it wrong.
      Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth dbblsanta View Post
        There are two signs that I placed directly on top of these piles. YELLOW IS FOR MAJORS ONLY. PINK IS FOR NON-MAJORS ONLY.
        The only case where I can see that being at all ambiguous is if someone from the military is signing up for courses. I could understand the dividing point between the packages being enlisted/officers, company grade/field grade, or field grade and below/above field grade, but why single out one rank?
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Catch-22 reference anyone?

His name was supposed to be Caleb Major, but when his mother died in childbirth his father, Mr. Major, gave him the first and middle name of Major Major, making his full name Major Major Major. When he entered the armed forces the IBM computer made a mistake and made him a major, making his boot camp experience miserable as everyone had to refer to him as Major Major Major Major.
          "I've put in so many enigmas and puzzles that it will keep the professors busy for centuries arguing over what I meant, and that's the only way of insuring one's immortality."
          - James Joyce

Comment

Quoth nicolecj View Post
            Catch-22 reference anyone?

His name was supposed to be Caleb Major, but when his mother died in childbirth his father, Mr. Major, gave him the first and middle name of Major Major, making his full name Major Major Major. When he entered the armed forces the IBM computer made a mistake and made him a major, making his boot camp experience miserable as everyone had to refer to him as Major Major Major Major.
            ILU for that reference.
            Childrenofthenight.Thecomicseries.com/comics/latest

Check out my comic. I write, my friend Red draws. Comments welcome. Leave them on their, or on my profile here.

Comment

I work as a receptionist for an academic department in a university.
              Me too! I'm a secretary, but I'm also first contact for the department.

Our course listings for next semester have been put out, and as is the case every semester, there is a packet in yellow for our majors, which has all of our classes plus specific instructions on how to be cleared to register.

For our non-majors, we have a bare-bones information sheet with only the courses that outside people can take (basically only the stuff in the yellow packet that is applicable to them). This is printed on pink.

As is the case every semester, the students will read the signs, MOVE the signs, and proceed to take both, then put the signs back (most of them). Therefore, twice as many info packets need to be printed as would be necessary if college students would just follow directions.

You are either a major or a non-major; you can't be both at the same time!
              I feel your pain.

I really, really feel your pain.

So many times have I asked myself "HOW did this person get into college?"
              Women can do anything men can.
              But we don't because lots of it's disgusting.
              Maxine

Comment

Working...
              X