This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Useful phrases to know.

When the price chart includes the phrase "and up", as in "$200 and up" then you should not be shocked when your complicated, double-size, with lots-of-extra-features project is more than $200.

Likewise the phrase "starts at" indicates that no, not all projects will be exactly the listed price, some of them will be more. (And none of them will be less! I really shouldn't have to say that!)

So many of my customers seem shocked when they get a price quote that's higher than the starting prices my site lists. Yes the rainbow stripes will cost you extra. And that thing with the HUNDREDS of little spots in a color never found in nature (and thus a color I will not find pre-printed fabric in) is going to entail an extra fee for all that extra sewing to put them in! In fact only charging half again as much is probably selling myself short, as I suspect that I'll send more time sewing spots than on the entire rest of the project! (Not that I actually sewed any spots on that one, she was so shocked by the price that she immediately re-posted her request to say "looking for cheap costume" rather than "looking for costume" )
    The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Nobody can give you wiser advice than yourself. ~Cicero

See the fuzzy - http://bladespark.livejournal.com/

Yeah I think people don't understand those phrases at all. I have generic custom order flyers that I hand out at shows, basically to answer all of the "easy" questions. But I still get people complaining about the phrase 'and up'.

"What do you mean my custom hello kitty queen size quilt I ordered that I need shipped before the end of the month for my sister's wedding is more then $250?!"

/epic facepalm with epic chocolatey goodness later
    https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

I think it all comes down to the fact that people who don't / can't make these things have just no concept of the time and effort it takes, or of how much good quality fabric, thread and trimmings cost (Of course, there are always those who are just plain cheap).
      Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Heck, I'm making simple curtains (as in, literally simple - rod pocket, no fancy pleating, just cut and pin and hem), and the project is taking me hours.

(Of course, I'm doing them for my whole house. Just one set of curtains would be faster.)
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

We have these issues all the time. Our company website advertises rooms "starting at $35.99". Which means that somewhere in the world, at one of our locations, for one person, you can get a room that cheap. Here, our rooms start at $49.99. When people say, "But it's cheaper on your website!", no, it's not. I just tell them if it's cheaper there then book it there. That has not failed me. (and so far, never seen someone check in with an online res that was that cheap.)
          Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

I think most people are genetically incapable of reading AND comprehending at the same time.

Comment

Customers just see/hear numbers. Never say 'The price is probably X' because they will not hear the word 'probably'.

Comment

Working...
              X