This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck Accelerator

This was related to me by a friend who works in a combo 7-Eleven/Gas Station and happened several winters ago. In this case it may have been more of a police brain burp than the customer.

The speed limit on the road the store is on is 45 MPH. One nice winter day an elderly woman in an older but looking in good condition large four door sedan comes into the parking lot at 45-50 MPH. Obviously she can't make the turn at that speed and she crashes into a car that had been waiting to exit pushing both vehicles into the parking lot.

The woman shuts off her car and gets out apologizing to the person she hit and asking if they are OK. She says, over and over, that she doesn't know what happened; her car just started to accelerate for no reason and even though she was jamming her foot on the brake she couldn't get it to slow down.

The police show up and call a tow truck for the car that was hit as it is obviously undrivable (my friend said the front driver’s side wheel was folded up under the car from the impact). The woman reiterates her story of the out of control car to the police.

After the wrecked car is towed one of the officers asks the woman to move her car into a parking space as she is blocking access to the parking lot. She says again that the car accelerated for no reason and she doesn't want to start it. The officer assures her that everything will be fine and insists she move the car.

The woman starts the car, puts it in drive and the motor just started ramping up the RPM's from the second it was started. She shoots across the parking lot and up a snow bank where the car comes to rest, its drive tires furiously churning in the snow. She shuts the ignition off, rolls down her window and yells back at the cop, "I TOLD YOU!” The cop calls for another tow truck and when the dispatcher commented, "I thought you just called and said you only had one car that needed a tow?" the cop had to explain why there were now two cars in need of a tow truck.
    You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious.

So, a driver rams another car going 45, and someone thought that it would be a good idea to have her get back in it to drive it again?

Just push the thing.

Comment

Quoth patiokitty View Post
      The cop may have thought she was trying to cover up why she slammed into the first car. They've probably heard all sorts of excuses for speeding and reckless driving, and I'm sure that "It accelerated all by itself!" is one of those commonly used excuses. It just so happens that this time it wasn't an excuse!
      Since my friend worked at the 7-11 he was pretty friendly with the police. Both he and the police assumed the elderly woman had hit the gas peddle by mistake instead of the brake and panicked. Too bad she didn't hand the cop the keys and ask him to move it.

I suppose it's possible she could have deliberately slammed on the accelerator the second time to PROVE there was something wrong with the car but I doubt it.
      You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious.

Comment

My '95 Toyota Corolla did that a couple times. It would stick the accelerator and I'd have to stand on the brakes to keep it from moving. It did that once in stop and go traffic and had me terrified.

I later saw something where it appears that is a glitch with some cruise controls. But having had it happen personally, I'd never really assume either way in that sort of situation. (I've also had my grandmother think she was hitting the brake while in reverse but hit the gas and accelerated into her neighbor's condo. So yeah, I've seen both sides.)
        "Oh, the strawberries don't taste as they used to and the thighs of women have lost their clutch!"

Comment

Quoth Heksubah View Post
          My '95 Toyota Corolla did that a couple times. It would stick the accelerator and I'd have to stand on the brakes to keep it from moving. It did that once in stop and go traffic and had me terrified.
          I bought an old '76 Chevy Camaro when I was a senior in HS. One day I came out after class and when I started it, even though I didn't have my foot on the gas, the engine started revving up and the tach headed straight for the red.

I turned the ignition off before it red lined, popped the hood and tapped the spring on the throttle cable. It snapped back and never gave me any more trouble.

Comment

I've seen 2 "I don't know what happened!!! The brakes didn't work!!!" incidents that I knew damn well were just mistakes compounded by irrational panic.I've had accelerators stick on me 3 times (old vehicles like CP's Camaro...mmmm,shitty engine but cool-lookin' car ),easy to deal with,step on the clutch and/or shift into neutral,steer it to a safe area then shut it off.I can shift my modern vehicles ('04 & '09) into neutral with a few ounces of pressure.

If your car is truly accelerating beyond your control then just slam the shifter into P,yes it'll probably fuck up the transmission but who cares.
            "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

Back in the 70s there was a problem with GM cars suddenly accelerating. What happened was an engine mount would break, the engine would sag and pull on the accelerator cable. They fixed it by installing a chain between the engine and the side of the engine compartment, so that when the motor mount failed, the accelerator cable would not be pulled.
              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Wouldn't making a stronger engine mount be a good idea?
                Seshat's self-help guide:
                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                  Clearly you are not considering the cost to benefit ratio from the automobile makers perspective.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                    They probably did. However, what about all of the cars already on the road? Lot of labour (cost) involved to swap out the motor mounts... just to protect against the rare one in a ten thousand or one in a hundred thousand that breaks. Much easier (cheaper) to put in a short length chain. And, even if ALL of the mounts were to eventually fail, most of them will be outside of warranty. Which means the customer will get to pay for the repair, not GM.
                    There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Quoth Frantic Freddie View Post
                      If your car is truly accelerating beyond your control then just slam the shifter into P,yes it'll probably fuck up the transmission but who cares.
                      Or, if possible, just pull the pedal back up with your foot - in most cars, especially older ones, it's all connected. That's what I did with my old Dodge Aries that had this problem, and since it was a matter of the cable catching on something in the engine compartment, that was all I needed to do to reduce acceleration.

In the cases such as with the recent ones, since it was determined that the problem really was stupidly designed floor mats, pulling the pedal up would have done the trick.

Quoth Caractacus_Potts View Post
                      Clearly you are not considering the cost to benefit ratio from the automobile makers perspective.
                      The auto industry is where we get the decision that in a car with a history of brake failures it's cheaper to pay out claims than to actually redesign the brakes.

Or, more recently, that it's cheaper for Ford to use a live switch with a history (it had already been the subject of a recall in passenger cars) of catching fire, then deny that it happened and wait until the deaths included a little girl and an elderly woman and a fireman got video footage of the thing going up, then finally admit that maybe it wasn't such a great idea and do a recall fitting where you put a cheap little cover over something that shouldn't even be on when the car isn't running.

^-.-^
                      Last edited by Andara Bledin; 05-27-2011, 06:49 PM.
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

And I'd like you to tell me Mr. C. Potts...where the hell is my flying car???
                        "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                          Quoth Caractacus_Potts View Post
                          Exactly. It was cheaper to install the chain that to replace the motor mounts.

A few years later, Ford cars had a problem with their cars slipping from park into reverse while the engine was running. It result in many deaths and injuries. Ford's recall fix was to put a label on the dashboard telling the driver not to leave the car running when in park.

Comment

Quoth Frantic Freddie View Post
                            And I'd like you to tell me Mr. C. Potts...where the hell is my flying car???
                            I was always fond of the Aerocar. It was featured on The New Bob Cummings Show in 1961-62.

Comment

Quoth Heksubah View Post
                              I later saw something where it appears that is a glitch with some cruise controls. But having had it happen personally, I'd never really assume either way in that sort of situation.
                              I remember seeing vid-articles about this on 20/20 or 60 minutes, et al, especially during the 90's, and most often about Fords where a thin strip of metal in the Cruise Control mechanism would melt, the upshot being that, once this happened, the car would think it was supposed to max out the throttle the second the car was turned on. Natch, the car companies denied it for many many many years (sans fix), even with the shows in question providing video evidence of same (as in: car up on a stand with wheels off of the ground. Camera in cockpit pointing at accelerator. They reach in and turn car on: accelerator promptly floors itself and car revs up to the max.). It took YEARS of media, death/accident reports, and outside pressure to get the problem fixed (With multiple car makers), and even then, I don't think they ever admitted culpability. their preferred response was "it MUST be user error, of course".

No way to tell which it was in the above story, tho.

A quick google search seems to indicate that this sort of issue still exists, albeit for different reasons across different car makers.
                              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                              X