Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

they're easily confused...and im easily amused.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• they're easily confused...and im easily amused.

Running a cigar shop in the US will get you a fair share of questions about Cuban cigars. Most of the world and US knows about the embargo thing we have here. However I still encounter people even my grandparents' ages that still don't know about it or why Cuban-anything is illegal, not just cigars.

Anyway, I also get the frequent question about how long our store has been open. We are new by retail and cigar shop standards.

Conversations happen often like this:

CC=confused customer
    Me=me

CC: I didn't know you guys were here. How long have you been open?
    Me: 17 months
    CC: wow cool. So, do you have any Cubans?
    Me: Not since 1962.

Some laugh, most get a thoroughly confused look as they try to figure out the number conflict.

What's funny is apparently not many know if you hold a tobacco license like we do, possession of any Cuban cigars at any time, is a federal offense. Means time at Levenworth.
    "We go through our careers and things happen to us. Those experiences made me what I am."-Thomas Keller

It's common practice oin the border towns to take the labels off Cubans & put Mexican/Honduran/etc... labels on them so people can get them across the border.

Don't ask how I know this.
    "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

Quoth Frantic Freddie View Post
      It's common practice oin the border towns to take the labels off Cubans & put Mexican/Honduran/etc... labels on them so people can get them across the border.

Don't ask how I know this.
      Which is why it is even more fun when they ask when I ask "which brand" and I get the 'deer in headlights' look from them. Some people think "cuban" IS a brand. :facepalm:

Aside from luxury watches, Cuban cigars are probably the most counterfeited. If you wouldn't trust anyone down there to sell you a Rolex, would you trust the cigar to not be Dominican or Nicaraguan with a fake Cuban band? Remember, they know what you want and will do anything to get you to part with your money for what you THINK is the real thing. I have had stories tld of people paying $30+ for....palm leaves wrapped in tobacco, and told they were Cubans.
      "We go through our careers and things happen to us. Those experiences made me what I am."-Thomas Keller

Comment

Another funny fact. The soil where they plant the tobacco is very poor now. The quality of the plants are extremely poor. the cigars that are coming out of Cuba now are not the same high quality that came out 40 years or more ago.

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
          Another funny fact. The soil where they plant the tobacco is very poor now. The quality of the plants are extremely poor. the cigars that are coming out of Cuba now are not the same high quality that came out 40 years or more ago.
          Yes, absolutely. Not many people know this.

I often find myself telling the unknowing souls who think that cigars from Cuba are the 'end-all, be-all' standard they once were. The reason their tobacco is (or, was) coveted is they have optimal sun, light, and the right mix of volcanic soil, and moisture to produce the best quality. However tobacco is like corn... plant too many seasons in a row without rest or crop rotation, and you get poor results next harvest.

The most frequent phrases I hear are:

1. "My friend brought Cubans from Mexico..."
          2. "I had one in Jamaica..."
          3. "What do you have that is closest to Cuban?"

The responses to 1&2 that I give pretty much are the "Do you trust one of the locals to sell you a Rolex?" speech. Most Americans wouldn't know a true Cuban cigar from a Dominican one anyway. The ones that ask for Cubans first thing, typically don't know much about cigars at all after I ask a few questions about their palate and what strength they can handle.

#3 is more difficult to get to. If Cuba would get its' act together, they could once again be #1. Because of the government's communist restrictions there, three basic grades of tobacco are produced. The first and best is rolled into cigars and other tobacco products that are only available to the local government officials, higher-class citizens, and first-picks for other wealthy dignitaries-trust me, no one in Mexico or Jamaica (even 'authorized' shops) sells these. Second class, is still very good, rolled, and about half is consumed within the island itself by its' own citizens. The other half plus the last grade of poor quality is sent out to the rest of the world. Not to mention most of the skilled rollers and their families left Cuba when Castro took over and took the skills, knowledge and many seeds with them. If you purchase a box of cigars IN Cuba, especially Cohiba, only about half are likely smokeable. Rolled too tight/loose, inconsistent blending, wrapper issues, cigar beetles, etc.

Competition breeds innovation and ingenuity. Cuba has over-farmed their soil and has left little land for rotation. Even if trade were opened up with Cuba, their island is just too small and too over-farmed to keep up with initial demand.

Dominican Republic cigars far outsell Cubans globally, with Nicaragua not far behind the D.R.

Comment

This is oddly fascinating. *Reads it against with rapt attention*
            Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
              This is oddly fascinating. *Reads it against with rapt attention*
              Funny thing is, before April of last year when we opened, I really didn't know much. I just listened to my husband as well as the cigar reps from various companies, as well as there is a load of info to be learned in Cigar Aficionando magazine.

I kind of had to learn it if I was going to sell it.

I can sell anything to anyone if I have enough back knowledge as well as basic knowledge. After that, it is on the customer for their personal taste and strength tolerance.

One of the county's sheriff's deputys likes to smoke a Cain F Double Toro WHILE drinking a Monster Khaos, and have 1-2 cups of coffee (no cream or sugar) for a chaser... he leaves sweating and tripping on the caffeine & nicotine buzz. Then again, he is a former Navy Seal...

Comment

Working...
              X