Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long were you going to let me do that?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long were you going to let me do that?

I went in to pick my son up from his new school. First time in the office. The receptionist points to a monitor on the desk and asks me to sign in as a visitor. There are large icons on the screen. 'Visitor' 'Staff' 'Student' etc.

I'm touching the icon and touching and nothing is happening. I tried tapping slower. Finally she looks up and says, Ma'am, that's not a touch screen.

Then I notice the mouse tucked behind the keyboard.

Hello computer.
    [/Scotty]
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

haha I would so do that.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
        haha I would so do that.
        Same. Damn iPhone spoiling me. :P
        Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
        Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
          Hello computer.
          [/Scotty]
          I pictured that with Denholm from the IT Crowd doing the same thing
          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I have definitely done this before! My old doctors had touch screen to sign in for appointments but when I moved my new one didn't... cue embarrassment the first time I went... And every time I use my sisters blackberry she will sigh and say "It's not a touch screen..." but only after she's watched me try to get it work for a good 5 min. My argument there is that my boyfriends blackberry is touch screen! Damn Technology!
            My Crafting Profile http://www.craftster.org/forum/index...ofile;u=139859

Comment

Quoth angelgirl View Post
              I'm touching the icon and touching and nothing is happening. I tried tapping slower. Finally she looks up and says, Ma'am, that's not a touch screen.

Then I notice the mouse tucked behind the keyboard.
              Quoth dalesys View Post
              Hello computer.
              [/Scotty]
              "How quaint."
              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Star Trek 4. That's the one where they save the whales, but leave the Vulcan girl on Vulcan, right? (Big mistake to leave her behind, actually.)
                Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

i thought she was pregnant with Spock's kid?

Comment

Quoth Kristev View Post
                    Star Trek 4. That's the one where they save the whales, but leave the Vulcan girl on Vulcan, right? (Big mistake to leave her behind, actually.)
                    One story I heard about that movie is that in the Russian translation (sorry, Checkov, for the Star Trek series it's the original English, not the original Russian), a politically-charged line somehow made it past the censors (this was before the Soviet Union collapsed). The line? On arrival in the 20th century United States, Kirk told the crew "You are entering a primitive and paranoid society".
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

In my library, the computers you use to check out your materials are touch screen, but the computer you use to sign up for an internet computer are not. I never laugh at people who prod the monitor. If you're new to the workstation, it's easy to focus on other things and assume it's touchscreen.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                        Hello computer.
                        [/Scotty]
                        I did that once (touchscreen AIO demo computer somewhere).
                        Salesman *not missing a beat, near-perfect delivery*: "Use the keyboard."

Back in the day I had some software that used an early voice-response engine...not that great, but my friends and I just had fun testing its limits. I keep planning to tweak Navi to use voice-response, but mom would probably heave a heart attack if the computer said hi (or worse, started swearing back at her when she got annoyed at Windows).

Sandman, that's what I thought too...
                        Last edited by Dreamstalker; 10-25-2011, 05:01 PM.
                        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Working...
                        X