Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did they put condoms in a mint tin?!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did they put condoms in a mint tin?!

A couple years ago, the company sent all our stores loads of "ethical condoms" from a company called "one", who donate all their profits to HIV/AIDS funds in Africa etc.

Anyway, they are £3 for a tin with 3 in, which is pretty expensive (you can get them free at any hospital in this country), but they do come in an attractive round metal tin. They hang around the store on clip strips (plastic strips with hooks on them, hung on the front of the shelves). We had a strip behind the cigarette kiosk, next to the liquor (a related purchase when you think about it!). We got stuck with these, as they never sold in any real volume (maybe a couple every few weeks).

Now, to this day, you can still buy mints in tins. Similar to these condom tins.

This lady came to the kiosk to buy a TV license. In England you have to buy a licence each year to watch TV (it basically pays for the BBC, the only non-commercial network). Any store with a Paypoint terminal can sell them. Usually we only have to take a customers details when they are buying their first licence - when they have just moved house. So I asked this lady for her name, then the postcode screen came up. She then said "oh, I dont know the postcode". I explained I needed this or the terminal wont allow me to go any further - they post the licence out to their house. She said "it starts with H32*". All postcodes within 4 miles start with H32*. I needed 3 more digits.

Anyway, she eventually gave up on plucking her postcode from thin air. And asked me a completely random question. "Whats in those tins?" Pointing at the "one" condoms.

This lady was about 55-65, fairly respectable, and I REALLY didnt want to answer her question, knowing she'd have no interest in the product, and that my truthful answer would embarrass her. But I couldnt tell her they were mints, as she might then want to purchase them! So after about 5 seconds thinking about it, and the queue building at the kiosk, I told her outright, plain and clear, "condoms".

She walked off, exclaiming "trust me!". My colleague on the kiosk couldnt help but laugh. I dont think many customers in the queue heard my answer. Perhaps it'd be best to move that clip strip from behind the kiosk so customers can find out in their own time that they are condoms! She left without buying anything.

*Postcode changed for privacy.

Ah, one of those incidents where you wish the floor would open up and allow you to descend gently into the Netherworld, nevermore to be seen in this one ...

You asked why condoms were being sold in mint tins. Is "one" a British company? I'm just wondering because I've read of some hilarious mess-ups when a company in one country tries to advertise or sell products in another country. If "one" is a company outside Britain they may have been unaware of the mint tins and just thought the condoms in the tins were a clever selling idea.

Comment

Dear sirs:
      Your mints are odd shaped, lacking in any flavour, let alone mint, and are excessively chewy.
      Yours sincerely,
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

What, not a single condimints joke?
        I gues they couldn't cut the mustard....

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
          Is "one" a British company? I'm just wondering because I've read of some hilarious mess-ups when a company in one country tries to advertise or sell products in another country.
          We tried to wholesale a load. Ended up with many expired packs on the free pallet. Not sure if it's UK only or distribution further afield, but they're definitely sold over here.

I had to dig out some of their blurb for the info on our website...

Rapscallion

Comment

I remember those from when I worked in retail, never really thought about it until now but they really do look like a tin of mints! We only had ours hung up near the rest of the condoms so maybe it was a bit clearer.
            As for them not selling well, I don't ever remember selling a tin of them. But I have to say I only ever buy durex as I know they work, I'm sure One's condom do but why have the stress of wondering if they will work? Also I have no use for the tin, condoms stay in our drawer,can only think that a tin is useful for an over enthusiastic teenage boy to keep in his bag!
            My Crafting Profile http://www.craftster.org/forum/index...ofile;u=139859

Comment

Working...
            X