Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So..the last few days have sucked something hard...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So..the last few days have sucked something hard...

Everything started Friday. I was happily at my computer at work and some customers walked in. As to my profession, I helped them find what they needed to find. Then, in walks in a friend of mine with not 1, not 2, but three others and an "enforcer" person. He walks up to me and hands me a paper basically telling me I'm fired. No prior announcement, no word from coporate, just a letter saying I need to get out of the store and that my company's contract to provide employees for the stores has been cancelled and we're now all out of a job. 40 something people all out of work in one day with one little letter. So now, here I am on day 3 of my unemployement looking for new work. It stinks and there was no reason given to why our company lost the bid.

Now, there is a good side to all this crap, but it'd make me feel like a schmuck. I was approached by the opposing company to interview for a job with them. Morally, I feel like I shouldn't take it. But, then again it's not that company's fault, its really corporate's. I also would be making about 3-4 times that I would of been making, so that makes me feel all the better about it. So, what do y'all think about me doing that? Is it going to be that bad for jumping ship and going with the "enemy"? I mean, I like my job a lot and I do it really well...so it shouldn't be that bad right?
    Movie, Music, Anime and many more reviews...coming soon!

IMO, you're not "jumping ship" - you have no job through no fault of your own. You're not abandoning your company with no notice, kinda like they did to you. Good luck and go for it!

Comment

I second that. Go for it!
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Wait a dol gurned second here.

Company ABC said "You're outta here" today.

Company XYZ asked "Are you interested in a job" later that day?

Why are you EVEN considering NOT going? Preserve thy butt!!!!! You have a job being handed to you.

The only caution I will condone is: have you investigated the Other company yet? As in, Do you think working there will be a bigger mess of crap? Are the people ok? Are the management fair &decent? Go have a lunch interview/ grilling with a possible co-irker.

Good Luck

Cutenoob
        In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
        She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

I'm with CuteNoob and everyone else in this - you need to keep a roof over your head. Go for it.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Cutenoob View Post
            Company ABC said "You're outta here" today.

Company XYZ asked "Are you interested in a job" later that day?
            I don't see a problem here either. Company ABC canned you...so don't feel bad about going to work for XYZ. Self-preservation is more important. Bills don't pay themselves
            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Uh, yeah. Morals be damned! You need a job and your ex-employer gave you no notice at all, and besides, it's not like you went looking at the competition-they came to you.

Jump on that!
              I know I'm laughing but it's really not funny. - Me
              "I was in the hall. I know, because I was there." - Clue

Comment

Go go go go go! Get that job! Take it, you fool!
                Age and wisdom don't necessarily go together. Some people just become stupid with more authority.

"Who put the goat in there? The yellow goat I ate."

Comment

ok, from what I understand, the OP works for company A. Company A contracts him out to work for Company B. Company B decided to end their contract with Company A and instead go with Company C. Now it's Company C that's offering him a job, to stay where he is, contracted out to Company B.

Confusing? Yes, but I work for a temp agency

Dude, if it means you get to work, you don't have to be retrained because you're doing the same job, and you don't need to impress a whole new whack of supervisors (the temp's dreaded nightmare), then GO! Loyalty is fine and good, but in this case, it's not going to get you anywhere. I stayed with original temp agency for 3 years, but when the new company bought them out and started treating the workers like numbers, I left and found another one.
                  GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Toolbert,
                    Did you take the job?
                    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                    HR believes the first person in the door
                    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                    Document everything
                    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Working...
                    X