This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charity Events

I'm tired, rambly and kind of excited so deal with it okay?

So, tomorrow is our first charity event. We're hoping to raise $5,000 for Jerry's Kids. We're going to have a big Tampa radio station out, some local restaurants have donated food, there's going to be live music, a bar has donated free drink coupons, etc. It's going to be FUN!
    My SM pretty much put this event together himself.

I've been surprised at how easy it is to network with people for this type of thing.
    For our next event I've already managed to line up a Nascar pace car and a local movie company is willing to send out people dressed as Storm Troopers and Jedi or whatever we want.
    I've also managed to get a line on some local bands and some other things. I'm feeling good about this- I think I may plan the next one myself. There's a voice in my head telling me I'm crazy...

(The funny thing is- I never knew I had so many connections until I started thinking in these terms.)
    "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
    HellGate: London

The grocery store I work at was recently selling shamrocks for Jerry's Kids. We even had hot dogs and sodas to sell.

If an employee sold any shamrocks, that employee would get a shamrock shirt which I have. Employees could pay money to wear denim for certain days to benefit Jerry's Kids.
    My Fanfic Page
    My Fiction Page
    My Social Group
    My Pet Social Group
    My You Tube Channel

Comment

Charity events can be lots of fun! And a lot of people are often very willing to donate to charities, either by money to help with the event or, in the situation of companies, with help. Especially if what they can donate has their name on it -- it's very good publicity!

The key, as I'm sure you know, is to be NICE and not ASSUME they'll help out and to be perfectly nice if they say no -- not everyone can donate to everything. (c:

Glad they're going well and tell us all about the other ones!
      "The things that I remember best - those are the things I wasn't supposed to do…."

I'm coming back as a Schooner Wharf Bar dog.

Comment

YCJCYADFJK.
        Jerry's Kids. A worthy cause, but gets annoying. I see that little sticker every place this time of year. Last month I was in line and apparently this store was having a contest; which checker would have the most donations that day or something. So the young girl asks me if I'd like to donate to the cause. I reply with a "no thank you." Then I see that little bastard YCJCYADFJK sticker. She sees that I see it.
        "Do you know what that means?" she asks.
        *sigh* "Yes."
        "Oh.. well, umm.. what does it say?" She was trying too hard.
        "Give me a dollar and I'll tell you what it says." was my witty retort.
        "Well, I'm in a contest, and I think I'm winning."
        "Well, isn't it worth a dollar to win? What's the prize?"
        "A $50 gift card to [local chain restaurant]"
        "So donate a dollar to win then!"
        She actually gave me a dollar, which I then gave back to her.
        My daughter's name is posted on 20 different shamrocks around town.

Sorry.. thread hijack.

Hey, if you're so good at networking... network me a new job?
        Age and wisdom don't necessarily go together. Some people just become stupid with more authority.

"Who put the goat in there? The yellow goat I ate."

Comment

Stormtroopers?

You don't have to contact a movie studio for Star Wars costumers. There are two groups, the 501st and Rebel Legion, that will happily do charity appearances. Easy to find online. I've done several myself locally, and it's a worldwide organization. They were the same people, albeit a small number, who were in the Rose Parade this year.
          http://tinyurl.com/43hger/.gif

Comment

radioclerk- Thanks for the heads up!

The studio volunteered their services. It's a small local company and the owner came through my line- so I feel kind of obligated to use them. They seemed so excited about it.

I did find the 501st online for my area. Now, I just can't find a contact number- it seems the page is just a photo album of other events they've done already. *goes back to searching*

I'm thinking a Mother's Day event would be nice. I have ideas... muahahaha!

EDIT:A-Ha! I found it. That so rules.
            I :heart: Star Wars.
            Last edited by NightAngel; 04-08-2007, 05:20 PM.
            "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314

Comment

Hehe...my friend used to work for Disney World and she has been a storm trooper...

/OT
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I mentioned about doing a charity once to my boss. Told him, that we could network, and get our name out there. You know what he told me, "That it would be bad for business". Yeah I don't know, why he thinks everything would be bad for business.
                Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

powerboy,

I just can't imagine what your boss was thinking when he said that?

We literally did three times more business than we normally do on a Saturday. It also increases customer loyalty when they see you are trying to be part of the community as a whole instead of just another business with a store front.

It's also lots of fun (albeit a lot of extra work) and it feels good to help others.

Where's the downside?

~TechSmith 314

Comment

I think that the reason he said that, was because he is a cheap asshat. He doesn't want to pay for anything, and if something was free, he would find a way to bitch about it.
                    Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                    San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Quoth radiocerk View Post
                      You don't have to contact a movie studio for Star Wars costumers. There are two groups, the 501st and Rebel Legion, that will happily do charity appearances. Easy to find online. I've done several myself locally, and it's a worldwide organization. They were the same people, albeit a small number, who were in the Rose Parade this year.
                      Betcha y'all didn't know that you have a bonafide member of the Rebel Legion on this site, didja? FenigDurak, Mountain Base Commander and Legion member since 2002. I've trooped as Princess Leia at many a charitable event, and came mere millimeters away from being in the Tournament of Roses Parade. LFL had decided to honor the 501st for the years of charitable service they have done in very uncomfortable plastic armor and so they flew in over 200 members of both Legions from around the world. A great many friends of mine were there.

NA, good luck with the event! Let me know how it turns out. I'd love to know what studio it is that's volunteering with y'all.

For future needs: RebelLegion.org and 501st.com
                      Last edited by FenigDurak; 04-10-2007, 10:18 PM.

Comment

And I was teased for doing the War of Northern Aggression reenactments. At least I had real functioning arms.
                        Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

OT

Quoth Tanasi View Post
                          And I was teased for doing the War of Northern Aggression reenactments. At least I had real functioning arms.
                          Tanasi, how far south do you get with your reenacting, and are you interested in learning to man a cannon? We belong to the US Field Artillery Association, and are always looking to recruit fresh blood...wait, that didn't sound right...

We'll be hosting a School of the Piece in September at Fort Concho in San Angelo, TX.

PM me if you want more info (anybody).
                          Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Working...
                          X