This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a quick question?

This was being discussed somewhere else I frequent.

How do you all feel when someone avoids the line, ignores the person you are talking to just to ask you a "quick" question? Do you assist them? do you tell them to wait in the line?

On the flip side do you have a problem with this if you are the customer that is being served, and someone butts in to ask a question?

I never minded a 'quick' question if that is what it was. Item locations were the most frequent questions and they are easy to answer while continuing to check out the customers. If the question required more than just my memory, such as things that required me to leave my station, (I'm tall and frequently got asked to get things off the top shelf, which I did if I wasn't busy. They can't help being vertically challenged) I referred them to the wonderful ladies at customer service. I never had a problem with people becoming SC's because of this.
    This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Comment

If it is a simple question, for all I have to do is give them directions, then yeah I will help them. If it is question that will take me time to explain to them, then they are going to have to wait for me to get done with the first person, or go find someone else that will help them.
      Under The Moon Paranormal Research
      San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Sadly, a "quick question" in my shop...never is.

Always quickly followed by another...and another.

My rule, quick question is 1. Which will get a concise answer. Then you wait
        "I reject your reality and substitute my own"....Adam Savage-Mythbuster

Must remember to stop using "brain of death" on slower morons.... I meant customers.

Comment

If they interrupt me or the customer, I will tell them to wait, but most of the time I dont have to deal with multiple people at once, but even if its just a quick question you wait in line. How do you know the person whos next doesnt just have a quick question as well?
          I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

I have people interrupting for "just a cup of water," which we give out free. But I do have to go over to the drinks area and get it, holding up my line a little. Unless they tell me they're diabetic or need it immediately for medication, I reply, "sure, join my line, I'll serve you when it's your turn."
            Michael: Maybe you'll be inspired by the boat party tonight and start a career as a pirate.
            Tobias: I haven't packed for that.
            <3 Arrested Development

Comment

About the only time I ever ask "a quick question" is when I'm trying to find out whether it's worth waiting. Example: "Is this place for special orders?" rather than waiting through four people returning the wrong colour lightbulbs.
              There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

"I'm just assisting this passenger, I'll be with you in a moment."
                No longer a flight atttendant!

Comment

Depends on their definition of a "quick question." "Can you point me to the bathrooms?" or "Where is the SciFi section?" are quick questions that I will answer. "Do you have a book called Yadda?" is not a quick question and they will get sent to customer service (even if Yadda is #1 on the bestseller list and is actually closer to where they are standing than the CS desk is).

Caveat: As long as they don't actually interrupt me mid-sentence and wait until there is a pause in the conversation between me and my current customer, I will respond to them, even if it is to send them to CS. Interrupting me midsentence will get you ignored until I am done and then I will look at you like I had no clue you were even there.
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                  X