This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Job and My Feet Are Killing Me!

I haven't posted in quite awhile. (I think the last post I made was about the wonderful folks I worked with for six years who laid me off while I was on FMLA time {Family Medical Leave Act} caring for my premature daughter.)

But good news: I started a new job just over a month ago as a security officer. I work the deep night shift (11pm-7am) at a factory with 3 large buildings to patrol. I have worked security several times in the past and I really do like the late nights (fewer people to deal with ) I don't have any good stories yet since I don't have to deal with too many people that often but I'm sure I will have some eventually.

Anyways, my job requires a lot of walking, about half my shift is spent patrolling either the buildings or the parking lots. This is a good thing because I need the exercise and it keeps me from getting too sleepy from sitting in place, however, my feet are killing me! So does anyone have any suggestions for good shoes? My brother and sister-in-law both suggested Doc Martens. So what do ya'll think? (I and my poor fat feet thank you in advance for any suggestions ).
    I'm not messy, I'm artistic!

When I worked as a zookeeper, I got those gel inserts (probably the ones with the really obnoxious "are you gellin?" commercials) and they worked wonders for me. I have really high arches, and I didn't want to spend too much on boots, so I got steel-toed Dickies work boots from Meijer and just popped in the inserts. I now switch the inserts to my Docs and other boots when I go to concerts.
    "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

I love doc martins-I own 3 pair-because I have flat feet-they were originally designed by a foot doctor named Martin in the 40s, for people with foot problems(yes their a cheaper mass produced orthopedic shoe)-the soles are designed to mold to your foot(why you always buy new ones!!!)

another suggestion would be Dr Scholls maternity insoles-I know you're not pregnant, but they are fantastic!!!! when I was preggers and on my feet for 6-8 hours a day my feet would kill me by the end of the day-got the insoles, and the first day I wore them-MY FEET AND BACK STOPPED HURTING!!!-I still wear them in my combat boots-
      Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

I've always had good luck with Rockport shoes. My previous pair finally bit the bullet last year; after about 10 years of hard work. They were pricey, but well worth it.
        Just remember, you get what you pay for.
        Age and wisdom don't necessarily go together. Some people just become stupid with more authority.

"Who put the goat in there? The yellow goat I ate."

Comment

Doc Matrens, work boots or hiking boots. Not fashion crap.
          ludo ergo sum

Comment

I wear Columbia hiking boots to work every day. They are comfy, breathe well, and look cool .

I used to buy the $15 kids boots @ Wally (I have tiny feet) but I got these Columbias on sale one day....I'm never going back to the cheepies.

Cutenoob
            In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
            She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Red wing boots are expensive as all get out but they work well and don't wear out quickly.

Also, Dr. Schools can make any shoe feel better.

Comment

I second the Rockports. I also recommed UGGS. Uggs makes a normal 6 hole boot that has a nice insole and has sheepskin linning on the inside I had real good luck with these

They are pricy but they do protect you're feet. I know that my brother inlaw who works security usually wears Rockports as do I (They are a little cheaper then the Uggs, but can last me quite a while.
                My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

what i learned from working in retail is there is that horrible 3 month period. Your feet ache and ache and unless you buy some of those gel thingies nothing works. i find it goes away after the 3 months.
                  Fan? This is shit. Shit? Meet fan.

Comment

I have to second, "You get what you pay for."

When I worked at Nordstrom, I bought dressy Italian shoes to wear with my suits and dress clothes. They were heaven.

I have a high arch and slightly wide feet. I have to have inserts. The gel inserts are good, but I like the memory foam ones from Dr. Scholls, as they have a stiffer arch support.

Personally, I trim the toe section of the supports away. I've found that the supports and my feet fit more comfortably in the shoes that way. I found that out when I compared the women's gel inserts (with no toe section) to the men's (which do have a toe section). I really prefer them that way.
                    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                    HR believes the first person in the door
                    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                    Document everything
                    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

I have a pair of fancy foam insoles that add just a teeeny bit of support (they're a sort of half-insole that goes under the heel and forward to the ball of the foot, but doesn't really extend to the toes), and I can stand around all day in pretty much any of my shoes if I use those. They really help my winter boots, my cheap Keds, and my Doc Marten work shoes.

Comment

If you have the insurance I go see a foot doctor. They can give you a look over for any problems. And get customised footwear for you to use.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions! I definitely agree with those that said you get what you pay for - I'm currently wearing some cheapo shoes. I really didn't realize how much I was going to be walking. It's at least four hours per shift and more on my 12 hour shifts.

I did buy some Dr. Scholl's gel inserts and they have helped a little. Some days I get home from work and I can barely sleep because my legs are just aching. I'm 34 years old but getting out of my chair at the end of the shift I feel like I'm about 70. I have to stretch everything and then walk real slow for about 5 minutes until the crying stops (okay, maybe not that bad )

I know that whatever I get I will have to pay more than what I'm used to but I know it will be worth it. I'm sure it will also look better for the company if their security guard isn't limping through the parking lot. Thanks again!
                          I'm not messy, I'm artistic!

Comment

Quoth ChicaViernes View Post
                            Some days I get home from work and I can barely sleep because my legs are just aching. I'm 34 years old but getting out of my chair at the end of the shift I feel like I'm about 70. I have to stretch everything and then walk real slow for about 5 minutes until the crying stops (okay, maybe not that bad )
                            I get real bad leg pains myself (arthritis, etc, etc) try tylenol arthritis and a hot shower when you get hom. Also put your feet up and maybe put a pillow under the calves for a while. Heating pads work great too.
                            My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

Easy Spirit

Definitely Easy Spirit. The one I wear all the time is called "Motion". Great walking shoe.

Pricey, like some of the other suggestions, but I wouldn't still be walking if I hadn't found these.

(Their most famous commercial involved a women's basketball team playing a game in Easy Spirit pumps . . .)

Comment

Working...
                              X