X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suckish day...

Warning: long...

I don't post much about my current job, since I don't deal with customers, but today sucked. A little background: I work for the distribution center, and they are consolidating their operations to this new facility that has been fairly recently built (maybe a couple years old? I've been there almost a year and when I started one of the guys in my department was still in the old building, which is only about 10 minutes away). Mostly my job is an office job, but our office is upstairs in the receiving end of the warehouse (most of the office staff is in the front section of the building). We also have 6 stations outside on the "line" as it's called, where we research things that the receivers can't receive for whatever reason (missing ISBNs, not in the system, etc. Most of the receivers don't speak much English, so if they have to read much beyond the numbers, they usually need to pass it on to us.) So stuff comes down the conveyor belt on one side, and we figure it out, receive it (or otherwise dispose of it), and send it on it's way on the other belt to be put away. Other than the actual receiving part, most of what we do can be much more efficiently done in our quiet office where we can sit down and concentrate (and sometimes use the phone to call publishers), but they don't seem to care about that. My boss admits it's highly inefficient, and he knows we all hate it, but "they" want us out there, to the extent that we are still supposed to do other stuff we normally do in the office if there is no receiving for us to work on. I so enjoy going deaf and straining my muscles at a not-so-ergonomically-correct setup that I can't really adjust enough to make it comfortable for me. But I digress. There are 4 of us that spend time out there on a regular basis; normally we are supposed to do a few hours a day. In reality we avoid it as much as possible. I bring a lot of research into the office and do it there, and then just receive when I have a tote full of stuff.

Anyway, the last month or so they've been getting shipments for the old building and they've been lining up pallets of boxes on the other side of our line, waiting for the-powers-that-be to decide what to do with them (if there is a purchase order for the item but it is for a different facility, we can't receive it to the PO in our facility; in that case we "bogus" receive, which just creates a fake PO#, and then I don't know what happens after that; not my concern. Normally bogus receiving is the last resort). So they finally decided we were going to just bogus all this stuff. Probably 99% of it was casepacks, and we just had to scan it, make sure it contained what the label said, scan/type in the ISBN, and receive it, and send the box on it's way. (Otherwise we receive items individually into plastic totes.)

So this morning, my boss called the 4 of us into his office, and said that the woman in charge of receiving upstairs asked if her group could use our computers. He said he was territorial and didn't want other people using our computers (they are each set up with our personal profiles so they would have to be logged in either under our name, or the system admin. would have to get them in). So it was decided (read, he volunteered us) that we would help them out. For 8 hours. Or maybe 4 hours today and 4 tomorrow. We went out around 9 and we finished a bit before 3. So yay for us.

So now I have a paper cut on one finger, and the side of another finger seems to have pulled away from the nail a bit and that hurts, I have a cardboard burn on my wrist, and after I got home I noticed a bruise on my thigh from using it to support some of the heavier boxes. Plus it was pouring this morning, so I wore my water-resistant shoes instead of sneakers, and my heels are still killing me from standing in them all day. On top of the fact that I twisted my ankle yesterday morning so that was still bothering me to begin with. And I'm just all around beat. My last hour and a half at work was really not very productive, cuz all I wanted to do was put my head down on my desk and sleep. I was getting a headache since it's really noisy but it didn't get as bad as I expected, and I know that when I finally go to bed and it's quiet, my tinnitis is going to be really loud in my head.

So if you've gotten this far, thanks for listening to my bitch session. I just wanted to rant a bit.

On the bright side, tomorrow is Friday, and payday, and will be the first check that will contain my raise that went into effect last week, and my boss went around this afternoon to ask what kind of donuts we wanted. Mmmm, chocolate-frosted.
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

You earned the rant. Enjoy it. Revel in it. And enjoy your raise and donut tomorrow. You earned that, too.
    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
    HR believes the first person in the door
    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
    Document everything
    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
      You earned the rant. Enjoy it. Revel in it. And enjoy your raise and donut tomorrow. You earned that, too.
      Thank you! My donuts were yummy. All 3 of them

So there is a small, um, sequel? I guess, to the story. They asked if they could use 2 of our stations tomorrow (Saturday) because they offered their people overtime to get through their backlog of trouble receiving, and they will have more people than usual on shift so they don't have enough stations. So my boss forwarded me the email thread from the other day asking about yesterday's project, which they had just tacked on their new request to. It confirmed what we all assumed, that yes, he did outright volunteer us. Not that he actually told us that. Then he decided they would use my station and asked me to decide who else would donate their station, because he was afraid some people might not like the idea and I guess he wanted to spread the blame around. I just picked the one right next to mine, cuz it was logical.... So in the end, they are using our computers anyway, and we had to leave 2 of them logged in and give our passwords to the superviser who will be in tomorrow since the computers lock after a certain period of not being used. Oh, and none of us actually care. It's not like they're going to do anything to them. They are using exactly 1 program which they will be logged into under their own user IDs. So it's not like they are doing work under our names; they just needed us to log into the computer itself.

Comment

If they just need a logon to use one program, can your IT people set up another profile with access to just the one program?

Comment

Quoth Jack7957 View Post
          If they just need a logon to use one program, can your IT people set up another profile with access to just the one program?
          If it makes sense....

Comment

Quoth Jack7957 View Post

They could...we have 6 computers out there and 9 people in the office (one of whom does not work out there; he does images and actually, I think, is not 'technically' totally part of our department) so 2 of them actually do have 2 profiles since they are shared, but the people who are set up on them don't use them much either. But this is likely an isolated occurrance so it really wouldn't be worth doing.

Comment

Yeah...

For security reasons, you CANNOT SHARE PASSWORDS!!!!! /endrant

type up a pretty memo to boss and mention security. IT needs to know what people log in where; tracking, software usage, who blew the pc up, etc...

What if Joe deletes all your special files you've been working on? Yadda Yadda.

Suggest w/ cattle prod that boss works w/ IT to not have this happen again.

If you're running xp or 2000, and use a domain/ AD login, it's farkin easy.

Cutenoob
              In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
              She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Quoth Cutenoob View Post
                Yeah...

For security reasons, you CANNOT SHARE PASSWORDS!!!!! /endrant

Cutenoob

Well, I wasn't given much of a choice. I don't know if the IT people knew anything about it. The people using them were warehouse staff who don't speak much (if any) English (I know this because I got to listen to their boss explaining what they would need to do - I have no farkin' clue what she said). The computers out there don't have too many personal files, and most of the things they could actually do anything with require a separate log-on, so it's not like they could get into most of the programs and do anything under our names anyway.

Comment

Working...
                X