X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knightmare in White Satin

Apologies to the Moody Blues.

But that's what I was today. I got splattered. I was even wearing a spiffy shirt. It has a collar and everything. Buttons even. I dress up a little bit, and I get paint all over me. What's up with that?

The worst part is that it happened right before closing. We were slow all day, but 20 minutes until close, guess what? An order for 20 gallons of paint, all of it being an off-white exterior satin. I only had 3 five-gallon buckets, so I had to make the last one from 5 one-gallon buckets.

After they came out of the mixers, we put a little dab of paint on the label.
    The first one: Out of the mixer, dab it, pound the lid closed, place can on the counter.
    The second one: Out of the mixer, dab it, pound the lid closed, *squirt!* paint got in the lip of the can, jumping onto me. Luckily, my stylin' red vest took most of it. Clean up a bit, place can on the counter.
    The third one: Out of mixer, dab it, pound lid *splort!* More paint in can's lip, jumping on me again, this time getting my shirt and neck. "Dammit" I say.
    The fourth one: Mixer, dab it, pound lit, *Splort!* More paint on my shirt. Somehow on my shoes too. "WTF?" I think.
    The last one: Mix, dab, pound, *SPLORT!* "Fuuuuck". Look down. Paint on the bottom of my shirt, on my pants, and more on the shoes. "Fuck fuck fuck" Clean up, place cans on the counter.

A ZM (the cool one) walked by just as I was placing the last can of paint on the counter. He looks at me, smiles, continues walking. Stops. Looks back at me.
    "Knightmare, what happened?" He asks.
    "What do you mean?" I ask.
    "You're covered in paint!" Thank you, Captain Obvious.
    "I am? Where?" As I look down at myself with a confused face.
    "You don't see it?" He asks.
    "Where? What? WHERE?"
    He points to my chest. "There. And some there. Is that paint on the floor? What the Hell happened?"
    "Oh... that. Nothing. If you think this is bad, you should see the customer that was standing behind me."
    " WHAT?"
    "Some guy was standing over there *points*. He got it worse than me. He's in the bathroom right now, cleaning up. So don't close the store yet." I reply, with a straight face.
    ZM almost falls for it.

Ah well. At least I got a laugh out of it. He even let me go home early! But only 5 minutes early.
    Age and wisdom don't necessarily go together. Some people just become stupid with more authority.

"Who put the goat in there? The yellow goat I ate."

Quoth Knightmare View Post
    Apologies to the Moody Blues.
    Time seems to stand right still
    in retail world, it always will.

Comment

Quoth Knightmare View Post
      I was even wearing a spiffy shirt.
      Uuuhhhmmm! I'm telling! Mom! Knightmare got paint all over Spiffy's shiiirrrt!

"I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
      HellGate: London

Comment

Quoth NightAngel View Post
        Uuuhhhmmm! I'm telling! Mom! Knightmare got paint all over Spiffy's shiiirrrt!
        Oh, this is going straight into the wash!

*Spiffy struts around topless, making alllllll the ladies swoon*

I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

*swoons>gets dizzy>falls behind the couch*

Help! I've fallen and I can't... oh, there's change under the couch! Whoo!
          "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
          HellGate: London

Comment

I am glad that True Value 5 gallons have a clear plug so I don't have to open them after mixing.

They splatter me enougth when I open them to put in the collorant.

Oh and I had a bulging Alluminum can today, boy did it POP! when I opened it to let the pressure out.
            "First time I ever seen a chainsaw go down anybody's britches,"

Comment

And here I was hoping you were going to be in a wedding or something...then I realized which forum we were in and I thought, oh no, he got splattered...

You wear a nice shirt and get splattered...akin to the first time I got thrown into receiving...while wearing a skirt. Yeah, thanks. At least it was a denim skirt and I was wearing slip on Keds (as our Kids' lead says, If they don't have laces, they're not sneakers!)
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

"splort" is my new favorite word.
                "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

It never failed with me. Any time I worked paint department, I ended up with a mess all over me.
                  Problem was, it was never latex paint, (which usually washes up with soap and water if you get to it soon enough), it was always oil-based, (which only washes up with a solvent, and even at that, doesn't usually come out).
                  Last edited by Ree; 04-22-2007, 02:56 PM.
                  Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Quoth Spiffy McMoron View Post
                    Oh, this is going straight into the wash!

Rowr.
                    Unseen but seeing
                    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                    3rd shift needs love, too
                    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Spiffy McMoron View Post
                      Good thing you're doing that and not me....because I suspect the reaction would be quite different.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                      Still A Customer."

Comment

I don't know, Jester....would you keep the jester cap on? :looking hopeful:
                        Unseen but seeing
                        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                        3rd shift needs love, too
                        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

You guys are weird.
                          ...how do used tampons attract thieves? ---Sleepwalker

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

Quoth zzapp the witch View Post
                            You guys are weird.
                            Every man, woman, and child amongst us. It's how we deal with managers, co-workers, company policies, sucky customers, and girls who do their makeup on the bus.

(Seriously, WTF??? I could have sworn you had too much on already!)
                            I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Quoth zzapp the witch View Post
                              You guys are weird.
                              I think as a group we go way past weird, accelerate through the Freak Barrier, and crash-land somewhere deep in the uncharted regions of Totally Nuts.
                              ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                              And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Working...
                              X