Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this Slightly Presumptuous or just Simply Helpful?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternatively, if you have a really rockin' server (like, say, ME ), you can just make the tip a nice round number.

Like the group I had the other day. Their bill was $305. I could have put a gratuity of 18% on their bill (a party of six or more). I didn't. They wrote in the credit card slip a nice round tip of $100.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

Even when I was in Canada and Mexico I tipped 20%.

If I ever got the chance to go to England, Australia or New Zealand would I get yelled at if I tipped the servers?
      Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

I just leave whatever feels like a good number. On a $6.38 bill, I leave $2. When it's a $35 or more bill (family dinner), I start giving my dad the evil eye if he tries to leave less than about 5—7. He always gets baffled at my insistance on decent tipping, but then again, he was never a waiter. At least he doesn't fight me on it.
        "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

Quoth Alfie View Post
          They tip in the UK? I went there in February, and didn't tip anyone. I'm going there again in July, so I will have to remember that! Are you supposed to tip at M&S (the cafe bit), or just at really nice restaurants? I really don't understand the whole idea of it, as we don't tip in Australia.
          LOL. Don't worry! I tip at places with a waiter service.

I don't think tipping is seem as important as in some countries cos they get at least the minimum wage.
          No longer a flight atttendant!

Comment

Quoth PrincessKatieAirHostess View Post
            I don't think tipping is seem as important as in some countries cos they get at least the minimum wage.
            In Canada, servers make minimum wage. It's slightly lower than the regular minimum wage because they do make some tips, but it's less than a dollar's difference per hour. We still usually tip 15% for things like meals and haircuts as a matter of course, as long as the service isn't complete crap. I'll do that in any place that has table service too. And I've always been told that bartenders should be tipped a dollar per drink.

Comment

Quoth Witch of Endor View Post
              We still usually tip 15% for things like meals and haircuts as a matter of course, as long as the service isn't complete crap.
              YOU may, but as a general rule, your Canadian brethren do not.

Now there are exceptions (of course), but overall, when Canadians are here in the States, they generally tip a straight 10%. Don't believe me? Ask any American server who gets Canadians in their establishment about this.

Still A Customer."

Comment

*cry* not true, Jester..... I think your perception is influenced by the infamous snowbirds (we're ashamed of them, trust me!) I tip just as well in the US as I do at home in Canada (and I've embarassed cheapskate American friends of mine when being treated to dinner by adding to their meager tip LOL).
                GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                  YOU may, but as a general rule, your Canadian brethren do not.

Now there are exceptions (of course), but overall, when Canadians are here in the States, they generally tip a straight 10%. Don't believe me? Ask any American server who gets Canadians in their establishment about this.
                  add me to the generous Canadian group please

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerk View Post
                    add me to the generous Canadian group please
                    Me too. In fact, I don't know anyone who doesn't regularly tip at least 15% (provided the service wasn't awful).
                    There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
                      *cry* not true, Jester..... I think your perception is influenced by the infamous snowbirds (we're ashamed of them, trust me!) I tip just as well in the US as I do at home in Canada (and I've embarassed cheapskate American friends of mine when being treated to dinner by adding to their meager tip LOL).
                      As I said, you're the exception.

Perfect example: Just last night, my coworker had a Canadian couple. They sang his praises about what a good job he did. And then left him exactly the same amount I am leaving you right now. Right. Nothing.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Not to get OT, but does everyone in Canada come to South Carolina and South for Vacation? When I was going to Myrtle Beach last year I had never seen so many cars tagged as "Montreal".

No idea what they tipped though. Me? I have a tip card. It has amounts from $1-$100 and the 15% and 20% tip. So if my bill is $31.42 I see that 15% for $32 is $4.80, so you will get $5-7 from me depending on how good the service was, and how much I have to give.

I always tip at least 15% (I give more now after joing this place oddly enough)

Comment

Do we tip in the UK? *thinks* Yeah, I think so...kinda...well I think it might depend on the establishment. For example, in Winchester at least we tip the girls who work at Pizza Hut, but when we eat at Spoon's we don't, 'cause we pay at the bar beforehand...

I'm not sure if we tip the Chinese delivery boy. I never eat it, so I don't know.
                          "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

I think the rule of thumb is if you pay FIRST, you don't tip, and if you pay AFTER, you do. I'm not sure on that, though, so don't quote me.
                            ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                            And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth bannedanna View Post
                              The manager's response: "Don't worry - we won't make you tip out the bussers for that bill"
                              I can just HEAR the patronizing 'there there' dripping off those words. Had me clenching my fists just reading it, and I'm normally one hell of a non-violent person. Probabilities if I'd been in that situation would've been 67%=Holding it in and coming here to post. 20%=Breaking a door-hinge when I storm out of there to avoid one of the last two options. 12.5%=Getting fired for unloading on the manager with both barrels until the broke down and like a baby or threatened to bring the cops into it. .5%=Blacking out and doing something very... Not Nice.

On another note, I'm really starting to realize these days how much of an asset being a 'big, huggable teddybear' (my late fiancee's words, not mine) is in the service industry. I'm nice and 'safe' enough to get people to be friendly and open up, but being well over 6' and solid means I'm big enough the sucky ones think twice about messing with me. Think Mario Batalli with brown hair, glasses, and 6'4", and that's pretty much me.
                              Last edited by JustADude; 04-28-2007, 09:04 AM.
                              ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                              And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Working...
                              X