This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beware of falling signing!

Shit, corporate tries to do something nice for us, and by pinching pennies makes things worse.

Recently, the interior walls in the store got painted and a new signing package was put up. The singing includes wall signing that consists of a large wooden bracket that looks like this when viewed from above:
    I______________I

Large letters are glued inside the bracket to form the department identifier.

I worked in one of the first stores to get this signing package, and the letters were bolted to the bracket. For our store, the letters were glued to the bracket.

Guess what! The glue is letting go and the letters are falling out of the brackets! This morning, the sign for Pet Supplies said "PET SUP", because the second P,L,I,E and S had fallen out. Later on, it read "PET S", because the U and P fell out and were lying on the floor.

It's not like these letters are heavy or anything; they're basically laminated styrofoam, but that's still got to be a startling thing to have come down at you while you're shopping.

That's not all. The wraparound signs placed on phone poles with customer assistance call boxes are falling crooked and coming down completely because they're held to the poles with double-sided tape. The aisle identifier signholders are falling down to, as they are also held up by double-sided tape.

The store manager has called the company that installed the signs to come fix them again. Which means somebody will have to work overnight one or two nights and be paid a buck extra an hour for doing it. As far as I'm concerned, they may as well live in our store until they find a way to fix our falling signs.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Once upon a time, when I was a tiny, cute as a button little girl, I was walking around some department -type store, and had one of the signs hanging from the ceiling fall on me. The entire freaking sign. Freaked me out a bit, but I was otherwise OK.
    I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Maybe you were being sent a message: "Yo! Bella! You are in the toy section! Start begging and whining for a toy or 12!"

Comment

I had a sign fall on once also. It didn't hurt one bit. But I just had that look, like WTF while looking around.
        Under The Moon Paranormal Research
        San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Well, I came in for work this morning, and all the letters had fallen!

They're in a haphazard pile on the top shelf below the bracket.

Comment

Not exactly signage, but I store I used to work for would stock monitors on the top of shelves. Once or twice someone pulling on the stack on one side would send a monitor or 2 crashing on the unsuspecting bastard on the other side.
            "You know, there are times when it's a source of personal pride not to be human." - Hobbes

Comment

Well, IPF, I must say I'm disillusioned. I thought double-sided tape worked for everything...

...Except for hanging posters on a slanty wall, but that's OK.
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                For our store, the letters were glued to the bracket.
                That's not all. The wraparound signs placed on phone poles with customer assistance call boxes are falling crooked and coming down completely because they're held to the poles with double-sided tape. The aisle identifier signholders are falling down to, as they are also held up by double-sided tape.
                Well, I think I found the problem. Glue and double-sided tape sucks. Fix it properly with some rolls of duct tape
                Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth CancelMyService View Post
                  Not exactly signage, but I store I used to work for would stock monitors on the top of shelves. Once or twice someone pulling on the stack on one side would send a monitor or 2 crashing on the unsuspecting bastard on the other side.
                  Well, if we're talking dangerous stuff...
                  I was temping in a food processing plant and some idiot lifted a load too high on the forklift and either ran over something or hit a dip in the floor; the load didn't fall, but it swayed alarmingly and with my vivid imagining of being squished like a bug under a shoe, I promptly scurried away from it, and I wasn't the only one.

I seem to remember once getting thumped on the head by a falling paper sign too; like the previous posters, I was surprised, but not injured.
                  Civilized men tend to be ruder than savages because they know they can be impolite without getting their skulls split, as a rule.
                  - Robert E. Howard

Comment

Working...
                  X