X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BK Woes (rather long)

So I'm still working at Burger King.

I almost landed a job at Wendy's but I decided it would be a bad idea for me since my best friend works there now...and we clash...a lot..

But even if I'd decided to work at Wendy's, I'd still need time to get another copy of my birth certificate and get a state ID and then a social security card. (since I lost it all when I moved) The managers would have waited a millenium for me if they had to owing to my previous work experience and my interview results...

HOWEVER...

I finally got my birth certificate sent through UPS last week and tomorrow/today I'm going to the local DMV to get my state ID since I don't have my permit yet. After that I can finally get my social security card which I'll need when I get another job...it'll take 2 weeks after applying for a card to receive it....plus another 2 weeks when I put in my notice at work...and then there's the time slot between now and whenever I apply for other jobs and the actual date of hiring...

I don't think I'll make it that long working at BK...

And here's the bombshell:

I want a job that has nothing whatsoever to do with fast food.

I'll settle for Starbucks if I have to but I'd rather have a job that basically deals with retail...I'm rather good with a register after I get used to it...

I started working BK in November 2004 and the first year and a half wasn't bad because I was learning new things and working full time for the first time in my life. I had FUN...then I began to just tolerate working...I was getting bored but at the same time it wasn't really bothering me...

Now everytime I see a customer I cringe in the inside . I can't stand actually talking to them, I get all pissy somehow. I get all negative when I come to work and I've lost the majority of my motivation. I'm grateful to have a job because I know there are people that would benefit from one but I just don't think continuing bK is mentally healthy for me.

There are a lot of fast food chains locally and my associates keep telling me to go to one of them but I don't think my situation will improve if I go from a fast food place to another one. I just don't see any mobility there. Maybe it's just me. There are a bunch of other places located along the boulevard that aren't fast food and I would have to take the bus to get to some of them (like the mall) but I could live with that.

Is it wrong that I want a job that isn't fast food? Do you think that's being too picky? How should I handle this situation? PLEASE HELP!

Quoth Maximillion View Post
    Is it wrong that I want a job that isn't fast food? Do you think that's being too picky? How should I handle this situation? PLEASE HELP!
    1) Nope.
    2) Nope.
    3) Keep working where you are until you find something you like, and then don't quit BK until you've signed the papers and gotten the date for your first shift sorted out.

Other than that, I just have to say that working as a barista at Starbucks is a VERY different experience than fast food, or it was when I worked there at least. Same way pizza places have a completely different feel than fast food. I did 2 years at a B&N Cafe (not Starbucks, but pretty dang close) and it was the 2nd best job I've ever had, next to working at Blockbuster... but The Big Blue Ticket has been going downhill since then, so I've heard.
    ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
    And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Youv'e been there for almost three years? Wow. I was feeling that way after a month. (Managers couldn't figure out why I was quitting after 2 heh).

Anyway, You are doing the right thing. It's not the building or company that is making you crazy, it's the business. I'm convinced you have to be a special breed of person to stay in fast food (or just nuts for some people I worked with, who gave up college to become a manager at BK).

Get all your documentation in line, but keep pounding the sand. Read the want ads everyday to see what's out there, and look around in the box stores for big signs as to what they are hiring for.

Good luck.

Comment

It's difficult to suggest alternatives to food service without having some idea of your skills. Nothing wrong at all with wanting out of food service.

I concur with JustADude. Have a new job lined up before quitting. A smart monkey has a hold of a new branch before letting go of the last.... a desperate monkey takes a flying leap and sometimes falls hard.
        Everything sucks. I must be living in a vacuum.

Comment

I started working BK in November 2004 and the first year and a half wasn't bad because I was learning new things and working full time for the first time in my life. I had FUN...then I began to just tolerate working...I was getting bored but at the same time it wasn't really bothering me...
          <snip> I get all negative when I come to work and I've lost the majority of my motivation. I'm grateful to have a job because I know there are people that would benefit from one
          Aside from the part about working at BK, I could have written this. I think I'm getting burned out, but I can't/don't want to leave yet. I tell myself to wait until I move* and see what's available near the new place.

*whenever that will be...
          Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Now everytime I see a customer I cringe in the inside . I can't stand actually talking to them, I get all pissy somehow.
            I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. I got to that same point, even though, to be fair, most of the customers I dealt with were anywhere from neutral to good. Just another case of the sucky ones ruining things for everyone else, I suppose. And it took me less than a year to get to that point. I only dealt with customers for about 2 1/2 years, and that was enough for me.

My current job does not involve dealing with customers at all, and that's the way I like it. Once in a great while, I might have to deal with someone from another department, but everyone is usually decent, and it's no big deal. And I've had a few annoying coworkers and asshole managers in the past, but what job doesn't have that?
            Sometimes life is altered.
            Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
            Uneasy with confrontation.
            Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Now everytime I see a customer I cringe in the inside . I can't stand actually talking to them, I get all pissy somehow. I get all negative when I come to work and I've lost the majority of my motivation. I'm grateful to have a job because I know there are people that would benefit from one but I just don't think continuing bK is mentally healthy for me.

This is me. Exactly 99% me (all except the BK part). I've been granted 3 days of vacation (I'd asked for 5--GRRRRR), and I'm going to use that time for relaxing and thinking.
              I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Don't be afraid to try something new. What are your future career goals? I get the impression that you don't want to do customer service type jobs for the rest of your life. Not that I blame you. I worked retail and fast food jobs for almost 15 years. During that time, I experienced several periods of wanting to throttle any customer I came across. Somethings that helped me were doing non CS type jobs if I could. For example in fast food, taking out the trash was a very good way to do some legitimate work and get a bit of a break from the customers. Washing dishes also helped. Jumping up and down on the empty cardboard boxes is also a good way to relieve frustration. Might get you some strange looks though. These are just some suggestions to help you until you find something better. Pretty much anything that gives you a few minutes away from the customers without getting you in trouble for slacking is good.
                Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

Well, I want to be a therapist or something along those lines but I have to go to college first. I need to get my core classes done first so I'd rather go to a community college before going to another college specializing in what I want to do...(less expensive)

I'm not getting enough from Burger King to pay for either so that's another reason I want out. I really should look through the ads as draftermatt suggested earlier and see who's hiring. Today I'm trying to go apply at local places near my apartment so I have easy transportation.

And I should definately look for jobs that don't deal with customer service and food at the same time.

Thank you all for giving such good and positive advice.

Comment

Working...
                  X