Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No more stories (I'm hanging up my telephone)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No more stories (I'm hanging up my telephone)

I'm a phone jockey no more! Well, at least I won't be in a few weeks. After much pondering on both sides, today I was formally offered... and I formally accepted... a new job.

There are numerous benefits:

1. I'm the first hire (besides the supervisor) in a brand new department.
    2. Mondays - Fridays, 8am - 5pm.
    3. The department closes on holidays.
    4. I won't be wearing a telephone headset 40 hours a week. I won't ever wear one. I may not even need to have a phone at all.

... and...

5. Absolutely no contact with actual customers... never... ever... never.

That pretty much sums up my employment goals for 2007.

So, there won't be any new CS stories. But there are still those I haven't told... I've an unlimited supply.
    I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. -- Raymond Chandler

Ah, but you're forgetting the Morons in Management and Cursing out Coworkers sections. I REALLY hope you don't need to go there, but Murphy finds a way.
    ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
    And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Trust me this is a very good move. I got out of the call center about 2 years ago. Now I am in a job where my phone rings MAYBE 5 times a month, and 3 out of the 5 times it's a wrong number!! I love it!!
      The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Quoth Banrion View Post
        CONGRATULATIONS!!! Trust me this is a very good move. I got out of the call center about 2 years ago. Now I am in a job where my phone rings MAYBE 5 times a month, and 3 out of the 5 times it's a wrong number!! I love it!!
        Thanks.

I'm still going to be working at the call center... I just won't be doing any call center stuff.

Call centers are funny places. The better a person is at doing the fundamental jobs, the less likely it is they'll actually have to do those jobs. It's like, "Wow, you're really, really great on the phone, you're super at dealing with customers, and your sales are way above average. We need you to accept a new position where you don't answer phones, you don't deal with customers and you don't sell anything."

Funny or not, I'm suddenly liking the concept a lot.
        I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. -- Raymond Chandler

Comment

Quoth TNT View Post
          Call centers are funny places. The better a person is at doing the fundamental jobs, the less likely it is they'll actually have to do those jobs. It's like, "Wow, you're really, really great on the phone, you're super at dealing with customers, and your sales are way above average. We need you to accept a new position where you don't answer phones, you don't deal with customers and you don't sell anything."
          Maybe they figure if you're that great at a complete shit job you'll be wonderful at anything not nearly that bad.
          "Who loves not women, wine, and song remains a fool his whole life long" ~Martin Luther
          "Always send a lazy man to the angel of death" ~Martin Luther
          My MySpace
          My LiveJournal

Comment

That's how my company thinks. If you can handle taking abuse all day and still get your work done accurately, you deserve to be able to work in peace and quiet for a while.
            The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Quoth Banrion View Post
              That's how my company thinks. If you can handle taking abuse all day and still get your work done accurately, you deserve to be able to work in peace and quiet for a while.
              And so I doth dub all call-centers everywhere THE THRESHING ROOM!
              ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
              And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Working...
              X